North American DVD project - as it stands now

Here is the state of the North American Community DVD project, as I see it.

If you go to the root index page for "libreoffice-na.us" you will have two choices:

All Supported Platforms
and
Windows Only

The All Supported Platforms version of the English DVD is in the /English/ folder. The Windows-only DVD is in the /English-Windows/ folder.

The original idea for the English only DVD was to place the DVD into the computer and the default folder of the DVD would have the index file along with all the other usable HTML files in that default folder. When there is finally a Spanish or French versions, then you will get a default folder that had only one HTML file, the index file, and the common folders with a folder for each language that is supported by that DVD.

For some reason people got the idea that the final "published" DVD was to have a default folder that had a root index file similar to the one that is the root/default index file of the libreoffice-na.us domain. That domain was originally designed to host the various DVD test pages for the project. One page for an English DVD that supported all the platforms used, and one English DVD for only Windows. Then as the different language versions are created, each of those DVDs would be tested along side of the English versions for comparison.

It has come to my attention that the root/default index page of the domain is being taken as the default page of the DVD[s]. That was not the original intent for its use. It is just a page that shows the people involved in the project[s], what the project is all about, and the current test pages and files of the DVD as of the last upload of the files to the domain.

-------

As soon as the other members of the team finish with looking for any possible issues with the potentially included files for the "initial" English DVD, THEN our initial publication of this DVD will happen. At that point this version is handed over to the Spanish and French translators so they can do their part.

The original plan for the "publication" of the DVD was to have several places where you can download the ISO file of the DVD, and several places where you can buy a pre-made DVD like people offered for OpenOffice.org over the past years for those who did not have the bandwidth to download the ISO file[s].

The current folder sizes of the DVDs are; 3.3 GB for the All Platform DVD and 1.6 GB for the initial work on the Windows only DVD. For those who have limited bandwidth for downloading, and uses Windows, the Windows Only version may be the better option, but it still lags behind the work on the All Platform version.

So please let me/us know what you think about the work being done.

webmaster @ lungstrom.com
webmaster @ krackedpress.com

Tim Lungstrom
New York State, USA

Here is the state of the North American Community DVD project, as I see it.

If you go to the root index page for "libreoffice-na.us" you will have two
choices:

All Supported Platforms
and
Windows Only

The All Supported Platforms version of the English DVD is in the /English/
folder. The Windows-only DVD is in the /English-Windows/ folder.

The original idea for the English only DVD was to place the DVD into the
computer and the default folder of the DVD would have the index file along
with all the other usable HTML files in that default folder. When there is
finally a Spanish or French versions, then you will get a default folder
that had only one HTML file, the index file, and the common folders with a
folder for each language that is supported by that DVD.

<cut>

So please let me/us know what you think about the work being done.

webmaster @ lungstrom.com
webmaster @ krackedpress.com

Tim Lungstrom
New York State, USA

Amazing. We had the same idea about the html file in the root folder.

By the way, Brazilian community is almost done with ours. We are at 50% of
Getting Started translations and going.

We are also including a bash script to automatic install for linux users.
That script detects the hw platform (32/64bits), the distro (Ubuntu, Debian,
Fedora, Mandriva or Suse) and installs all required packages for that
specific distro. I have tested in Ubuntu, Fedora and Mandriva. Just Suse and
Debian are still missing and I expect to test it tomorrow.

You can see these videos about how easy Linux installations have become:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_fedora.ogv
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_mandriva.ogv

There's just one issue: once I'm not a developer, the script really works,
but it also has a very ugly code. =D

Maybe someone could read it and improve the code.

Cheers.

I would love to see those scripts. Even ugly code can work beautifully.

I never not written a batch script since the mid 1980's, so it would be nice to see
one that would make my life easier for things I need to install using the Terminal.

I have not written a program that was not HTML/Javascript
based in over 5 or 6 years, and real programs since my mainframe days of the 80's and 90's.
My strokes wiped my programming skills so I no longer can do things like the general ledger
accounting systems and other things like that. Could barely do some basic "C" programming
anymore that I use to do half asleep in the early 90's.

> Here is the state of the North American Community DVD project, as I see
it.

> If you go to the root index page for "libreoffice-na.us" you will have
two
> choices:
>
> All Supported Platforms
> and
> Windows Only
>
> The All Supported Platforms version of the English DVD is in the
/English/
> folder. The Windows-only DVD is in the /English-Windows/ folder.
>
> The original idea for the English only DVD was to place the DVD into the
> computer and the default folder of the DVD would have the index file
along
> with all the other usable HTML files in that default folder. When there
is
> finally a Spanish or French versions, then you will get a default folder
> that had only one HTML file, the index file, and the common folders with
> folder for each language that is supported by that DVD.

<cut>

> So please let me/us know what you think about the work being done.
>
> webmaster @ lungstrom.com
> webmaster @ krackedpress.com
>
> Tim Lungstrom
> New York State, USA
>
> Amazing. We had the same idea about the html file in the root folder.

By the way, Brazilian community is almost done with ours. We are at 50% of
Getting Started translations and going.

We are also including a bash script to automatic install for linux users.
That script detects the hw platform (32/64bits), the distro (Ubuntu,
Debian,
Fedora, Mandriva or Suse) and installs all required packages for that
specific distro. I have tested in Ubuntu, Fedora and Mandriva. Just Suse
and
Debian are still missing and I expect to test it tomorrow.

You can see these videos about how easy Linux installations have become:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_fedora.ogv
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_mandriva.ogv

There's just one issue: once I'm not a developer, the script really works,
but it also has a very ugly code. =D

Well, any script that tries to be cross-distro like that is going to be ugly
- such is the way of the world

Maybe someone could read it and improve the code.

I expect that it could be reworked to instantiate an API, so that
distro-specific scripts could be created. Absent other volunteers, I'm
happy to help.

It may be that bash is not a good choice for such a scripting task (that's
probably part of why it's ugly). Have you considered Python?

To be specific, though, what is the additional stuff that exists outside of
/opt?

Also, I have to ask what is the additional stuff that those distros aren't
adding that you feel should be included?

Cheers,
jec

Hi Jeff.

Well, any script that tries to be cross-distro like that is going to be
ugly
- such is the way of the world

> Maybe someone could read it and improve the code.

I expect that it could be reworked to instantiate an API, so that
distro-specific scripts could be created. Absent other volunteers, I'm
happy to help.

Well, you can download it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_linux.sh, maybe you can do something
better that me :wink:

It may be that bash is not a good choice for such a scripting task (that's
probably part of why it's ugly). Have you considered Python?

Yes, I have. But I am not a programer and I know a little about bashscript.
I have done what I could with my "rustic tools" =D. Call it a "workaround".

To be specific, though, what is the additional stuff that exists outside of
/opt?

Also, I have to ask what is the additional stuff that those distros aren't
adding that you feel should be included?

Good question. Mandriva is still distributed with OpenOffice 3.2 and so is
Fedora. I use Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.11, and LibreOffice 3.3.2, which aren't in
the Ubuntu's repositories yet. So, I really don't know what those distros
are changing in original packages of LibreOffice.

Cheers,
jec

Cheers.

Hi Jeff.

> Well, any script that tries to be cross-distro like that is going to be
> ugly
> - such is the way of the world
>

> > Maybe someone could read it and improve the code.
> >

> I expect that it could be reworked to instantiate an API, so that
> distro-specific scripts could be created. Absent other volunteers, I'm
> happy to help.

Well, you can download it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_linux.sh, maybe you can do
something
better that me :wink:

OK, I'll take a look. Thanks for posting it.

> It may be that bash is not a good choice for such a scripting task
(that's
> probably part of why it's ugly). Have you considered Python?

Yes, I have. But I am not a programer and I know a little about bashscript.
I have done what I could with my "rustic tools" =D. Call it a "workaround".

> To be specific, though, what is the additional stuff that exists outside
of
> /opt?
>
> Also, I have to ask what is the additional stuff that those distros
aren't
> adding that you feel should be included?

Good question. Mandriva is still distributed with OpenOffice 3.2 and so is
Fedora. I use Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.11, and LibreOffice 3.3.2, which aren't
in
the Ubuntu's repositories yet. So, I really don't know what those distros
are changing in original packages of LibreOffice.

You can look on the Debian repositories to get an idea what will be in
Ubuntu. See http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libreoffice

Hi Jeff.

Well, you can download it here:

Hi Paulo:

Pretty good for a quick hack!

I can suggest a few changes:

   1. Use grep -i instead of grep -o
    DIST=$(grep -i fedora <<< "$ID1")
   2. I'd make is to force $DIST to lowercase and check against "mandriva"
   or "debian".
   DIST=`echo $DIST | tr A-Z a-z`
   That way, you'll drop a few extraneous tests.
   3. Ensure the script is run as root

   http://serverfault.com/questions/37829/bash-scripting-require-script-to-be-run-as-root-or-with-sudo

Cheers,
jec

Hi Paulo:

Pretty good for a quick hack!

I can suggest a few changes:

  1. Use grep -i instead of grep -o
   DIST=$(grep -i fedora <<< "$ID1")
  2. I'd make is to force $DIST to lowercase and check against "mandriva"
  or "debian".
  DIST=`echo $DIST | tr A-Z a-z`
  That way, you'll drop a few extraneous tests.
  3. Ensure the script is run as root

http://serverfault.com/questions/37829/bash-scripting-require-script-to-be-run-as-root-or-with-sudo

Many thanks for your help, Jeff. I'm gonna make the changes and test it
asap.

Another sugestion I've just received is: Instead of making an entire DVD ISO
with many packages users won't need, and make users donwload it (at least
1.8GB, in our case, 4 GB in north-america's DVD, I guess), a friend has
asked me to make just an script. That script could detect the same things,
download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
and/or built a DVD specific for that user.

What do you think?

Gonna keep you all aware.

Cheers,
jec

Cheers

Sorry to jump in like this but I can answer that for you.
I am Tim L. who started the project several months ago before Drew got me working on this bigger project concept.

The real reason for starting the DVD project was to give people a choice on how to get a copy of LibreOffice. Many people I know do not have broadband access to the Internet. It would take them all night to download the Windows install file[s], so I started years ago to burn DVDs of OpenOffice and other free software I got them to use. I keep giving them the updates every four to six months. Now that LibreOffice is out, I am switching them to it.

The current Windows "draft" DVD is about 1.6 GB with all the content included. One thing we differ from the LibreOffice-Box people's DVD is that we have content. Their all platform DVD is about 2 GB the last time I looked at it. Our all platform DVD is about 3.3 GB right now. We have about 1 GB of content, like documentation, dictionaries, template samples, artwork, and other stuff not a part of LibreOffice-Box's DVD.

My feeling is, if you make a DVD for them to use, why not fill it with all the things they might use. The DVDs I make for local use is stuffed full with things that could be listed in the Extras page. Most of the time I stuff the DVD to the point there is no more room left on it.

For a DVD you have to download the ISO file for, that could be a problem for some people. So you can download a 3.3 GB all platform version, then later you will have the option of a Windows only version [1.6 GB at this time] so you do not need to download the platform files you cannot use. There was "talk" on some list about is we have a Windows only DVD, why not have a Linux version as well. Well since Windows is the platform that at least two-thirds of the people use, Windows-only seemed like a good idea.

Hopefully soon, when the DVD is "published", we will have some places where people can buy a pre-made DVD. This way all those people who do not have broadband, or who would rather have one made for them, will have places to order the DVD. OpenOffice.org use to have many place where you could order a DVD for their package. The "new" Oracle OOo web site seems to make it hard to find that list. When you do, it seems that there are very few people selling OOo CD/DVDs anymore. It is still a great idea.

I know a few business management people who would never use a great software package if they had to download it from the Internet. Yet, if you have a place to order a CD/DVD or they are given a professional one, they would be happy to try it.

> Hi Paulo:
>
> Pretty good for a quick hack!
>
> I can suggest a few changes:
>
> 1. Use grep -i instead of grep -o
> DIST=$(grep -i fedora <<< "$ID1")
> 2. I'd make is to force $DIST to lowercase and check against "mandriva"
> or "debian".
> DIST=`echo $DIST | tr A-Z a-z`
> That way, you'll drop a few extraneous tests.
> 3. Ensure the script is run as root

http://serverfault.com/questions/37829/bash-scripting-require-script-to-be-run-as-root-or-with-sudo

Many thanks for your help, Jeff. I'm gonna make the changes and test it
asap.

*de nada
*

Another suggestion I've just received is: Instead of making an entire DVD
ISO
with many packages users won't need, and make users donwload it (at least
1.8GB, in our case, 4 GB in north-america's DVD, I guess), a friend has
asked me to make just an script. That script could detect the same things,
download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
and/or built a DVD specific for that user.

What do you think?

Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't this what the BrOffice project does?

Cheers,
jec

> Another suggestion I've just received is: Instead of making an entire DVD
> ISO
> with many packages users won't need, and make users donwload it (at least
> 1.8GB, in our case, 4 GB in north-america's DVD, I guess), a friend has
> asked me to make just an script. That script could detect the same
things,
> download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
> and/or built a DVD specific for that user.
>
> What do you think?

Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't this what the BrOffice project does?

BrOffice is the name given to OpenOffice (and now LibreOffice) in Brazil.
It's also the name of LibreOffice Brazilian Community and the name of the
NGO which used to "represent" Brazilian Community. That's because the brand
"OpenOffice" belongs to a private company in Brazil. Now, as the
international community became LibreOffice, there's no reason to maintain
the name "BrOffice" so, we are migrating to the name "LibreOffice" at this
moment. Behind this movement there are a sort of "political reasons", also.

Cheers,
jec

Cheers

[...]

Yes, I understand that the project exists in the sense you describe.
What I'm really asking is, doesn't the BrOffice project already provide
the function you're describing:

download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
and/or built a DVD specific for that user.

In other words, is there already a website that has a browsable
repository of LibO files?

Regards,
jec

Yes, I understand that the project exists in the sense you describe.
What I'm really asking is, doesn't the BrOffice project already provide
the function you're describing:
> download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
> and/or built a DVD specific for that user.

Ok. Sorry.

In other words, is there already a website that has a browsable
repository of LibO files?

The repository we use is the one provided by TDF at
http://pt-br.libreoffice.org/baixe-ja/

For all the distros supported in your script, LibO will be installed in
/opt, so the destination for the addons and templates is well known, and
won't vary by distro.

I'd investigate offering a few choices based on the contents of the
/projectos/ page. Maybe throw in a few templates for good measure. Offer
a few combinations, then get the filles associated with each group via wget.

Cheers,
jec

>> Yes, I understand that the project exists in the sense you describe.
>> What I'm really asking is, doesn't the BrOffice project already provide
>> the function you're describing:
>>> download the necessary packages (about 250MB, or less) and install them
>>> and/or built a DVD specific for that user.
>>

> Ok. Sorry.
>

>> In other words, is there already a website that has a browsable
>> repository of LibO files?
>>

> The repository we use is the one provided by TDF at
> http://pt-br.libreoffice.org/baixe-ja/

For all the distros supported in your script, LibO will be installed in
/opt, so the destination for the addons and templates is well known, and
won't vary by distro.

I'd investigate offering a few choices based on the contents of the
/projectos/ page. Maybe throw in a few templates for good measure. Offer
a few combinations, then get the filles associated with each group via
wget.

That's what I was wondering how to do it. =D

Cheers,
jec

Abraço.

Oh. Sorry.

Let's start a new thread, shall we?

Cheers,
jec

Hi,

In a general sense, I would think, that installing user specific
templates as sets, meaning groups of templates in an oxt wrapper, would
be rather straight forward.

That is, given the installation having been carried out via a script, in
this case the script could then run unopkg and install the oxt payload
(templates, gallery graphics, and other types) as a final step.

I suppose this means the script contents need to be generated using the
selections made by the user in a web interface. If you are talking about
doing this from a web server, via the net, shouldn't be a problem.
Thinking about doing that from a DVD maybe a bit more to it, but nothing
beyond doable.

Also, have you looked at the possibility of using more of the resources
of the Linux platforms. For instance the LibreOfficeBox de team is
integrating the needed files such that the directories present as an RPM
(not sure about DEB) repository. Sorry I don't have much detail on this,
but if you haven't looked at that it would be another possible way to
go, perhaps.

Best wishes,

Drew

You were correct, didn't see it till I sent the other email. Yes it is a
good question and better on a separate thread.

> Hi Jeff.

<snip>

> Well, you can download it here:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/755426/instala_linux.sh, maybe you can do
> something
> better that me :wink:

OK, I'll take a look. Thanks for posting it.

Hi

sorry to be a pain, all I get is a file not found for that link - could
one of you perhaps just attach that file to an email and shoot it off to
my email address, please :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Drew