ISO files and folder archives - download method

Started the process of uploading all the file and folder archives for

http://libreoffice-na.us/dvd-archives/dvd-folder-archives.html

This way every few days, or so, a person can look at this page and see if there is any changes in the files or folders for the North American Community DVD project's DVD.

Then the person can:

1] download the whole archive list in that page

2] make the folders using the archived folders and files

3] Then update only those files/folders as they come available instead of downloading the entire DVD ISO file, when it becomes available.

The majority of the edits will be on the HTML files, and the rest will be done only as needed. So the largest amount of download size will not need to be done except once every time the install versions change. Right now the install version is 3.3.1. When it changes to 3.3.2, then the install files will change along with the HTML files reflecting that change. The extension, template, dictionary, etc. archives should not need to be changed.
That means that you will need to download a total of 2.2 GB instead of 4.x GB as an ISO file.

The link shown above is uploaded, but the archives will take hours and hours at my 120 KB/sec max upload speed from my Cable Modem broadband account. I am uploading the archives that are "not the install files" first, then the "install files archives" second.

9:00 am US Eastern time 4 of the 21 archives are uploaded. Give it about 10 hours or less to see all the archive files uploaded.

Hi Tim, *,

Webmaster for Lungstrom.com schrieb:

Started the process of uploading all the file and folder archives for

http://libreoffice-na.us/dvd-archives/dvd-folder-archives.html

This way every few days, or so, a person can look at this page and see
if there is any changes in the files or folders for the North American
Community DVD project's DVD.

Then the person can:

1] download the whole archive list in that page

2] make the folders using the archived folders and files

3] Then update only those files/folders as they come available
instead of downloading the entire DVD ISO file, when it becomes
available.

No need for that procedure, because..

[..]

That means that you will need to download a total of 2.2 GB instead of
4.x GB as an ISO file.

.. it's a matter of minutes to fetch all 4.x G to our server from your
webspace.

The link shown above is uploaded, but the archives will take hours and
hours at my 120 KB/sec max upload speed from my Cable Modem broadband
account. I am uploading the archives that are "not the install files"
first, then the "install files archives" second.

The install files are locally on the server anyways so in case of
bandwidth issues we could put them to the right place from there. I
assume even to look for how to achieve that, will last longer, than the
whole download, though.

9:00 am US Eastern time 4 of the 21 archives are uploaded. Give it
about 10 hours or less to see all the archive files uploaded.

Just rise hands if Youre prepared - no need for fiddling around with
anything before that.

Gruß/regards

Hi Tim, *,

Webmaster for Lungstrom.com schrieb:

Started the process of uploading all the file and folder archives for
http://libreoffice-na.us/dvd-archives/dvd-folder-archives.html
This way every few days, or so, a person can look at this page and see
if there is any changes in the files or folders for the North American
Community DVD project's DVD.
Then the person can:
1] download the whole archive list in that page
2] make the folders using the archived folders and files
3] Then update only those files/folders as they come available
instead of downloading the entire DVD ISO file, when it becomes
available.

No need for that procedure, because..

Well from your aspect, when the files are on your server. But I am thinking about people who are in groups in the USA who are wanting to promote LibreOffice by handing out the latest version of someone's English DVD at the different meetings and events that these people/groups go to. There are events in the USA this week that could get the latest files from us [including the one that are in the "theme" and "pics" folders] that are not easily saved via a browser system. These people would not have access to our FTP account as some of the TDF/LibreOffice people now have [or at least I emailed them the user/password info]. There people who do not have FTP access NEEDS some other way to get the files and folders from "us" that is easy if they had FTP access, but hard if they only have browser access.

Hi Tim, *,

Webmaster for Lungstrom.com schrieb:

Webmaster for Lungstrom.com schrieb:

Started the process of uploading all the file and folder archives
for http://libreoffice-na.us/dvd-archives/dvd-folder-archives.html

[.. sync by ftp ..]

No need for that procedure, because..

Well from your aspect, when the files are on your server.

It's up to You to have them there. As long as you continue authoring
them on Your home machine there's no advantage over sticking with Your
ftp space, though.

But I am thinking about people who are in groups in the USA who are
wanting to promote LibreOffice by handing out the latest version of
someone's English DVD at the different meetings and events that these
people/groups go to. There are events in the USA this week that could
get the latest files from us [including the one that are in the
"theme" and "pics" folders] that are not easily saved via a browser
system. These people would not have access to our FTP account as some
of the TDF/LibreOffice people now have [or at least I emailed them the
user/password info]. There people who do not have FTP access NEEDS
some other way to get the files and folders from "us" that is easy if
they had FTP access, but hard if they only have browser access.

I don't see any advantage of this procedure over providing recent, well
aproved ISO-files. Of course that's very painful, as long as You think
the preferred means creating those is Your home machine.

No help possible with this from our side.

[..]

Gruß/regards

The easiest way of doing things would be to have everyone download an ISO file for the current version of the project.
That would mean downloading 3.8 GB, or so, of a file each time there is a new release of the ISO file. Some people may rather just have to download the changes/updated files instead of the whole DVD. This Archive Files/Folders option is a way for them to do that.

Now the 3.3.2 version just came out. The only changes to the DVD would be the install folder, with the 3.3.2 fines install of the 3.3.1 files, the Install.html file, and any other HTML page that lists the version 3.3.1 instead of 3.3.2. So there will be one folder and a few HTML files. All the rest of the folders and files would be the same. So if someone wanted to build their own DVD from the files/folders, then all they would have to do is download the newly updated ones for version 3.3.2 and not download any other ones. The is 1.8 GB of files instead of 3.6 to 3.8 GB of a full ISO file.

So for now, Drew has a link for an older snapshot of the DVD. As soon as the new install files are completely download, I will have him download whatever files/folders he would need to update his local folder and have him build the new DVD and place it on his "portal". When everything is done on my end and I have the ISO file of the 3.3.2 DVD, I can upload it to someone's server for the people with TDF and LibreOffice-Box to have access to it "locally" to their server system.

I am currently uploading all the new files to the online install folders. As soon as the RPM x86-64 files are downloaded to my local computer, I will upload them to our project's site, and then upload the new HTML files listing, and linking to, the 3.3.2 files.

So for now, Drew has a link for an older snapshot of the DVD. As soon
as the new install files are completely download, I will have him
download whatever files/folders he would need to update his local folder
and have him build the new DVD and place it on his "portal". When
everything is done on my end and I have the ISO file of the 3.3.2 DVD, I
can upload it to someone's server for the people with TDF and
LibreOffice-Box to have access to it "locally" to their server system.

Hi Tim,

Well, I understand your line of thought and it's interesting.

In actually I don't see it as a usage pattern that would benefit many
people, but it worth talking about for sure.

In my opinion, and for the moment at least, it's a bit bothersome to me
from this one perspective - there are a few us right now updating and
editing files, we are working against this one common set of files.
Given our setup right now that is the only way to keep us all in sync -
and I am doing daily backups of changed files, so there is at least a
poor mans version control system.

Right now having a second set of files that are supposedly in sync also
just adds to our chances for banging over top of each others work, at
least given the active level of change going on.

I'm sure you got Jeff's mail from this morning regarding the User
Documentation and the updates he will be making today to the files on
your server.

Beyond that:
- all the files on the disc are now referenced from the HtML pages
- ALL pages needing translation from German to English are done (Clean
first drat at a minimum) and ALL the HTML has been scrubbed free of any
googl-ism garbage (I think?)

Open items are I think down to
- Templates, in the zip files - final vetting.
- Finish work to html files for minor layout issues

I am currently uploading all the new files to the online install
folders.

Ok - great.

So if I could just follow up from my email of this morning. This is a
good time to get the folks on the US list to review what we have and
give some input/feeback o some of the inclusion questions.

I just really think this archive directory idea is making extra work
right now and I would rather see us focus on getting what is before us
already finished.

Thanks

Drew

[...]

Say what? I looked on libreoffice-na.us and the files weren't there. Is
there another server?

[...]

+1 Obviiously, as there seems to be another site in the mix.

Onward thru the fog,
jec

> I'm sure you got Jeff's mail from this morning regarding the User
> Documentation and the updates he will be making today to the files on
> your server.

Say what? I looked on libreoffice-na.us and the files weren't there. Is
there another server?

I see them?

hmm - remember the first set of credentials Tim sent did not put you to
the correct location on his server - if you still don't see any files
follow up with a direct email.

Thanks

Drew

No there is no other domains.
There seems to be just some miss-impressions there.
The site is as up-to-date as I can get it.
Drew has been doing some editing to the HTML files.
I have been doing the updating to 3.3.2 since it came out this morning.
There is some issues where the "About LibreOffice" option in the Help menus
state it it a build of 3.3.1 build 202, but the package manager states it is 3.3.2-19.

So that will needs to be looked into.

I also made a new folder of Windows-Only DVD to see what is needed to be done
to make one. 1.8 GB instead of 3.5 GB with all the platform versions.

[...]

Now that there is a WANT to have all the .odt files for the versions that had only .pdf version on the document page. I have download all the .odt files I found and now I need to get them referenced on that page. Maybe in the next day or so.

I looked at the "Windows Only" DVD and as I looked at the text in a few pages, I noticed a few misspellings.
[quote]
Deveoped by members of the LibreOffice community in North America.
[unquote]
Developed - the "l" is missing. I have some other text I have been working on, but have not uploaded it, yet.
Has to stop to deal with lunch and with some instructions to me new aide. Will upload those typos edits soon.

- ALL pages needing translation from German to English are done (Clean
first drat at a minimum) and ALL the HTML has been scrubbed free of any
googl-ism garbage (I think?)

We took the German version and made a working English one.

If LibreOffice-Box would like to take our English translation and use it towards their English version, I say go ahead and do it.