[libreoffice-marketing] Update regime for Store versions (was: Question regarding Microsoft Store download of Vanilla Libreoffice)

Hi Drew,

Drew Jensen wrote:
> Excellent - is this switch from one major release to the next during on the
> third minor release to be an expected pattern?

Mmh - wouldn't want to enshrine that just _yet_. ;)

For the store, as we push mandatory updates (such that people who
donated once keep getting their security fixes), there comes the time
when we _need_ to major-upgrade ~everyone.

Right now, the number of users from the Windows store is low, so we
can experiment a bit perhaps. There's four options that I currently
see:

1. publish every major update as a completely new product (which would
currently mean that people need to pay again - or risk running
unmaintained versions)
2. switch everyone with a forced update to the new major version on
day one
3. switch everyone with a forced update to the new major version at
some suitable later date (as happened here)
4. switch everyone with a forced update to the latest major version at
the time the still version becomes EOLed

There's potentially more nuances (keeping a major update optional for
a while), but that's a bit in flux currently, what the Store allows
technically.

I did consider option 3 a good compromise between end-user and project
needs, so opted for that. But the project might want to consider other
regimes (or we could test them out). There's also perhaps a bit of a
risk contradicting our still/fresh release branding too much on the
stores.

> Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > We're now shipping all available langs with the Store App. If there's
> > still issues with e.g. French users to obtain the version, please let
> > me know!
> >

> Sounds like big news. Will there be a press release, or other, public
> statement from CIB on that?
> I was about to post to SM about this change but if there is one coming I'll
> hold off til I can point to something from CIB.

Nah, please fire away! It's more of a bugfix in my mind (though the
package size is really quite a bit more bulky than the original
MSI...).

Cheers,

-- Thorsten