Hello everyone,

TL;DR: While LibreOfficeFR continues to have some great stats, I have
recently been suffering from some demotivation. I hereafter explain what
is being done to remotivate troops, what are the current commitments and
what could be the near term objectives.

Like proposed by Arnaud Versini, I'm sending to you some updates about
the French community, especially about the French @LibreOfficeFR Twitter
account and the French blog. :)

# Statistics

LibreOfficeFR January stats:
Impressions   : 435K tweets impressions
Tweets        : 1 516
Profile visits: 7 110
Mentions      : 1 608

Note: The mentions are people mentioning @LibreOfficeFR directly. These
stats are not taking into account indirect mentions I'm still answering
to, e.g. people speaking in French about "libre office" or
"libreoffice". Thanks to Tweetdeck, the whole Twitter platform is indeed
monitored in real time to catch people speaking in French about LibreOffice.

This week, we finally have passed the bar of 14 K tweets published ;)

# Backlog and demotivation period

I'm not mentioning February and March since these have been a bit behind
expectations (respectively 192K and 146K) for the following reasons :

* Over the past few weeks, due to implications in other communities
(FOSDEM, my involvement for Mattermost and participation in Mattercon[1]
in Bahamas), I haven't been able to answer and get implicated like I
would have done in the past.

* As the Corona virus puts extra burden to our community due to the
bunch of new people working remotely, I have only been able to cope with
direct and urgent questions, e.g. people losing their documents because
of using Apache OpenOffice, rendering bugs in the 6.4.0 release of
LibreOffice, etc.

Even if I have been a bit demotivated by 1) the extra load especially
the backlog of work I still need to catch up, 2) the status quo
situation about a topic I have been reporting to TDF since Feb 2019
(more on that later), and 3) the way the FOSDEM hackfest happened[2],
rest assured, I'm now back on the right track :).

While petrol is what makes cars move, *motivation is what contributors
need* =)

# Commitment

I commit to still maintain regularly the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account
and the French blog (but others are welcome to join obviously ;) ).

Arnaud Versini and Regis Perdreau have been checking the tweets
published and advising about the possible directions for the answers to
give. Their commitment still needs to be confirmed for the future.

When unsure, I ask confirmation in a *non muted* channel on Telegram,
where Arnaud Versini, Sophie Gautier and Philippe Hemmel can give me
their opinion and BAT (bon à tirer/right to publish).[3].

On new releases, I send the translated announcement to Jean-Baptiste
Faure for publication on French mailing lists. If the translation is not
done in a timely manner, Jean-Baptiste sends by himself his own
translation or, failing that, the english based announcement.

# Catchup

By the end of this week, I'll do everything I can to:

1. resync the French blog with articles whose translation has been
missing compared to the English blog;
2. since we are in a confinement period, republish these old articles on
Twitter as "flashback" tweets (was working nice with the flashback 2019
tweets session I published at the end of 2019/beginning 2020).
3. answer to all questions since 2020-03-22 to now
4. answer to people still waiting an answer between 2020-02-21 and
2020-03-09 (that's the backlog gap :()
5. unread mails at TDF.

# Time management

Maintainership is still done on a best effort basis.

While I have been able to spend 1-2h / day, I'll need to find a way to
reduce this workload to 1-2h / every 2 days.

I have contacted all the companies providing social media tools used to
contribute several people at once on a Twitter account, but the
solutions they provided to me are way too expensive, even for a non
profit organization like TDF.

The only solution I have found for now one in order to keep up the same
positive attitude via Twitter is time splitting: sharing contributors
across time. This however requires technical oriented contributors who
have a wholistic view of the TDF/LibreOffice project.

Proof reading text for the blog articles can be easily found on the
discuss-fr mailing list. Thanks again to the persons who answered
present over the past few months :)

# Accesses

I'm precising this piece of info to reduce the bus factor.[4]

Twitter access can be given using Twitter.com, Tweetdeck or via any
third party API access.

While third party API access is carefully monitored and restricted to
the bare minimum (Tweetdeck and mobile apps), the following contributors
currently have a full access to the Twitter account using Twitter.com.

The following people have access to the username, password, and TOTP key
of the account. These 3 elements have been shared with them using
ProtonMail/PGP.

- Arnaud Versini
- Sophie Gautier (accesses granted sent today)
- William Gathoye (myself)

Some accesses are also defined using Tweetdeck. These accesses are only
valid using Tweetdeck and cannot be escalated to a standard Twitter.com
access. Contributors can only publish.

- Arnaud Versini (admin)
- William Gathoye (admin)
- Sophie Gautier (admin)
- Charles H Schulz (contributor - pending request)
- Valerie Dagrain (contributor - pending request)

# Near-term objectives

- First step is to get rid of the aforementioned catchup backlog
- A possible GSoC: an overhaul of the blog (more on that in a dedicated
thread)
- Growth hacking only possible with the call to action of the
LibreOffice.org website (i.e. downloading LibreOffice) properly redesigned.
- Virtual hackathons. I'm currently sparing money and building a server
room for virtual hackathons. (More on that later)

While these can be seen as personal ideas, this is what I propose for
the LibreOfficeFR community, a needed adaptation in order to catchup
with other FOSS communities ;)

Looking forwards to go in the right direction with you ;)

Regards,

[1] The 1 million downloads of LibreOffice on Chocolatey has been
mentioned in my talk given at MatterCon, more on that later :)
[2] https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/msg11069.html
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepress_proofing
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice