First, hello Nige and welcome to the community :-)

On the topic of the Notebookbar being default, I personally think that's
not something we should do on the first release after making it
non-experimental. If anything, we could have it available to everyone in
6.2, 6.3 and 6.4, then consider it as default for 7.0...