[libreoffice-marketing] Re: Notebookbar out of Experimental

Hi

I am a newcomer to the LibreOffice marketing group so, first, greetings to everybody.

Now that the Notebook bar is no longer going to be an experimental feature perhaps the question of the default setting needs to be addressed.

When encouraging somebody to migrate from MS Office, if the first configuration they see is the classic menu bar then I can well imagine the reaction being that LO is "old fashioned". Defaulting to the Notebookbar should create an instant feeling of familiarity for such users. However, if that were to become the default we would be reinforcing the sense that LO is an MS Office clone, without emphasising the configurability advantage that LO has.

A lot of people still prefer the classic menu bar and find it far more intuitive. I am one of them. Perhaps on first run after installation the user could be presented with a welcome screen which illustrates the visual differences between the two menu types, and allows the user to select one or the other to be their personal default from that point onwards.

Just a thought.

Nige