Hi all,

The site LinuxQuestions.org is again offering users the chance to vote on their "Members Choice Awards" categories. They are debating this year as to whether do away with the "Office Suite of the Year" award, as LibreOffice usually wins by such a wide margin.

Feel free to add your voice and spread the word about the vote! You may find the voting site here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/office-suite-of-the-year-4175596296/

On the topic over whether they should close this particular category, IMO, if there were no other office suite choices other than LibreOffice, then closing the category would make sense. However, there are plenty of choices in the Linux office suite arena and it is always nice to see how people in general feel of their most favourite office suite. Yes, the margins are quite wide between LibreOffice and the next second office suite choice, however, it is always nice to see who is in second, third, fourth place standing. It is also always nice to see that the work put into LibreOffice is validated by an outpouring of its users.

I would then suggest that we should not only place our vote for LibreOffice, but make sure to comment on the page, that the "Office Suite of the Year Award" not be closed. The category not only validates the TDF/LibreOffice achievement, but also serves to validate and recognize other open source/for-profit projects in the office suite category, regardless of the standing. I cannot imagine how the awards scene would look like if all other award organizations decided to do the same and close down categories for the same reason.

Hope you can take time to vote for your favourite office suite and feel free to browse the other categories on the site.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré