Takeshi-San,

Takeshi Abe <tabe@fixedpoint.jp> @ 2015-12-28 04:08 CET:

Hi Charles,

As Naruhiko-san poked me about the interview material, I would like
to make a pitch for some of your questions.

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:37:33 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>
wrote:
Sure - perhaps TDF could publish this interview on its official blog. Let's
have some questions - others please feel free to add more:

- Can you tell us more about the context of the Japan LibreOffice
  Mini-Conference?

- Can you tell us more about the LibreOffice Japanese community?
In 2012 the idea of mini Conference in Japan have emerged from
discussion in LibreOffice Japanese Team, which organizes the series of
events. Our team consists of the most active contributors in the Japanese
community, serving as a NLP now.

To explain what we considered, let me summarize a history of the Japanese
community since the OOo era briefly. (Please note that this is based on
my personal view.)
OOo already earned huge expectation from Japanese users. It was obvious
from the number of migrations [1] in the country, and the fact that
a government agancy led a project on techinical research for Japanese
Language specific features [2].

Unfortunately, like other groups in the OOo project, Japanese volunteers
suffered from the bureaucratic nature of the project. Core members of
NLP faced difficulty to focus on contribution. They eventually parted ways,
ending up that some of them formed so-called "users group" [3] at 2002,
to try taking care of the situation better than "official" NLP.
The dispute seems to remain unresolved until today.

This kind of separation resulted in fewer collaboration between volunteers
and poor communication within the community. Worse, user and business
organizations became skeptical about availability of skilled people who
can help them send feed back to the project. That implied even fewer
contribution.

Time passed and the launch of LibreOffice struck. Its manifesto sounded
exactly essential to us. Sure, meritocracy is the key. Early members of
LibreOffice Japanese Team has chosen a flat structure with no lead.
Our team encouraged each to do what he/she could do in his/her favorite manner.
It worked magically, and works well so far.
But one practical issue recurs: how can we communicate effectively outside
the project for, e.g., promoting LibreOffice, recruiting new volunteers or
exchanging ideas with the industry, when we have neither authority nor
structured man-power?

One of the answers we argued was simple: let's gather and ask people who concern.
That's why mini Conference was born.

- Is LibreOffice known in Japan and are there known deployments in the public
  or private sector?
Yes. You can find visible deployments at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/JA/Marketing/CaseStudy

- Last question: do you have any specific goal for this mini-conference that
  would make you and the Japanese community happy?
Yes. It aims at gathering people anually for unifying the community.
It also gives our Japanese Team an off-line meeting.

The last mini Conference was held in late 2014, which topic is code
development from the Japanese community.
It was not only a success with interesting presentations by young hackers,
but also provided a tutorial for newbies about how to start hacking LibreOffice.

This time we plan to meet people among broader interests.
We have called for both long and short form of presentations on whatever,
whoever in the community would like to share.
Accepted papers include ones from users, volunteers, academia and companies
providing value-added service.
I am sure that meeting friends in the community at early January and enjoying
refreshingly cold air at Osaka will be great for new year's resolution :)

[1] http://ossforum.jp/jossfiles/OpenOffice.org_use_cases_0.pdf
[2]
https://web.archive.org/web/20070506220203/http://www.ipa.go.jp/software/open/ossc/2007/theme/koubo1_t01.html
[3] http://oooug.jp/

Cheers,
-- Takeshi Abe

Excellent thank you! Italo, do you think we could publish this interview on
the official TDF blog?

Thanks,

--
Charles-H. Schulz Co-founder, The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal details: