Hi :)
Perhaps just point out a few of the other OpenSource programs to whoever is setting-up the
machines.  Keeping it "under the radar" can often be very effective.  Once the programs are out
there and being used and enjoyed then inquiring about policy decisions and "management's stance" is
less likely to result in them "pulling the plug".

Sounds like some smart techie stumbled into doing something good 'by accident'.  In my country
he/she would probably be forced to resign due to your 'complaint' and then the organisation
supplying the computers would be pushed into buying MS products for machines in the future and
perhaps to replace what is already on those machines that have already been sold.

Is there much chance of the people who received the machine writing in to say thanks for the
software?  is the company likely to ask for customer feedback?
Regards from
Tom :)