Hello Keith,

Thank you for your comments. As this is a task based mailing lists, speculative discussions ought
not to take place here. But you're welcome to post them on discuss@

Thanks,

Charles.

Keith Curtis <keithcu@gmail.com> a écrit :

That is amazing. Google wrote this in their analysis of OpenXML:
(https://forums.scc.ca/forums/scc/dispatch.cgi/public/showFile/100294/d20070705225348/No/objections%20by%20Google.pdf)
-----
"Although OOXML may formally comply with Ecma, it was clearly not
designed with an “open” spirit. Comparing the current with the future
situation, interoperability is likely to become more difficult instead
of easier. The implementation of a fully compatible ODF importer (the
current efforts regarding .doc and .xls) is not an easy task, but it
is dwarfed by the implementation of a fully compatible OOXML importer,
which we estimate to take something between 50 – 500 person years, or
even longer. Therefore, although it is theoretically possible to
generate an OOXML document, this document will probably only use a
very small subset of the standard.
In sum, OOXML can be compared to Microsoft giving access to a
labyrinth to which it alone owns a map; moreover, certain tunnels
within this labyrinth are not accessible without a key that only
Microsoft has, and that third parties would need to replicate first.
(And, in doing so, these third parties would not know whether they
would violate any rights that exposes them to litigation)."
-----

It is sort of sad Google would reverse course and act against their
own interests. Also, I wonder why they didn't help to port LibreOffice
rather than buying QuickOffice. The current Android efforts in
LibreOffice are less than one person I believe. Imagine what Google
could have done with 5-10, let alone buying the proprietary
QuickOffice which employed 400 people.
(http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018361838_apustecgoogleofficeapps1stldwritethru.html)
I suspect part of their decision was that they didn't want to take a
risk on "LibreOffice", but it does seem they have too much money.

-Keith

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Zeki Bildirici <zeki@ozgurlukicin.com>