Hi Fabian,

Le 05/03/13 10:00 AM, Fabian Rodriguez a écrit :

Hi all,

One of my friends, a teacher in an elementary school in Quebec, just
got a few computers he requested for his class. He got them via OPEQ,
a program that receives used/discarded computers and recycles them for
reuse in schools.

The OPEQ (computers for schools in Quebec) program offers to
pre-install LibreOffice on their systems:
http://www.opeq.qc.ca/ViewCatalog.aspx?NavID=368&CultureCode=fr-CA#computers

So... he got LibreOffice :) Otherwise the computers come w/o any software.

I am inquiring more about the OPEQ's policies on free open sourc
esoftware inclusion, but this is already a huge step, specially here
in Quebec.

Cheers,

Fabian

In fact, there is an association that does this across Canada -- the "Computers For Schools" programme that has paired with the department of Industry Canada and volunteer groups across Canada (of which OPEQ).

You may find the website here[1] -- you can find all of the provincial partners on the map. They used to donate used computers to schools without any OS and software, but now usually offer WinXP with no software OR WinXP with MS Word. The computers are donated to publicly funded schools or private; daycares; low income families; elderly. Some conditions may apply, for example for some groups such as low-income, they need to enrol in a short course to get a free system.

Some of the systems are quite decent. You can also ask for an OS'less system if you are convincing enough (at one point, Years ago, I ordered about 20 systems and installed Mandrake Linux and disguised these as Win machines. The students and staff at a school used them for a year without realizing they were not Win machines -- I did this to curb the amount of mistrust in Linux in those days.)

The Computers for Schools partner in Ontario[2] is a "Microsoft Registered Refurbisher" and install MS Word on their use hardware. From what I remember, they will not change or include open source software to replace MS Word.

IMO, the CFS programme is a very good programme and is very dependable. The will also guarantee their hardware and replace parts quickly.

Cheers,

Marc

[1] http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cfs-ope.nsf/eng/h_00056.html
[2] http://rcto.ca/Program/CFS/default.aspx