Le 2013-02-06 07:15, Tom Davies a écrit :
Hi :)
I think the Maths Guide is about to have a major re-vamp, probably after the 4.0.0.  I'm not sure
if that would affect an application for an ISBN number.

As for abusing the wholesale offer i think that is not really a worry.  The aim is to get the
guides out there as far and widely as possibly.  If someone is smart enough and keen enough (about
LO) then they hopefully will make good use of the guides anyway, either to make sure they get seen
or to help people migrate to LibreOffice.  The aim is less about generating profit and more about
getting the guides out there.

Hopefully people wont try to abuse the system too much.  Even at full price the guides really don't
cost much especially when compared to similar guides for rival products.  Also i am sure the
Friends of OpenDocument are sensible enough to manage the requests sensibly.  Sending full sets of
guides out to all 51 libraries might or might not present a bit of a challenge to them but i'm sure
they could figure out a way of doing something sensible.

It still makes sense to send directly to where they are required to save the effort of
re-distributing.
Regards from
Tom :)

No, this is not correct. The point of this discussion is to get the guides to targeted libraries and try to get a commitment to continued yearly acquisition. They have the funds to purchase texts such as these as well as to put them on a yearly review for either purchase more of the same texts depending on usage or purchase newer updated versions. We would take care of promoting these to libraries just like any other publisher would, however direct them to Lulu.com for the purchases. We are not in the printing business as the Lulu.com model is more efficient.

Jean's offer was more of a user/member offering to purchase a guide destined for library use, and, giving the user a preferred rate for that purchase. I doubt very much that a particular user will offer to purchase the whole series for a Library. But, still getting a guide to a Library this way is fine.

I am more interested in a more committed effort to convince Libraries to carry our complete guides on their stacks for their membership use. Then, we will be able to lay claim that our guides are available at most libraries and we could possibly keep a record of which libraries are carrying our guides.

The acquisition department at libraries is our target.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré