Dear All,

I am not sure whether the documentation project that we have implemented for Scilab, Python and a few other FOSS systems will be applicable, or even relevant, to LibreOffice. Let me explain the Scilab Textbook Companion (http://scilab.in/Textbook_Companion_Project) below:

  1. Worked out examples from standard textbooks (mainly engineering)
     are coded in Scilab and uploaded on to our portal
  2. We pay honoraria to the creators (about $200) and to the reviewers
     (about $100)
  3. The code in tgz form can be downloaded from the same portal by the
     public, even without registering
  4. Using LaTeX and bash, we automatically convert the code into a
     book form (~100 pages) and offer it also for free download
  5. About 150+ textbook companions have been completed and another 100
     are in progress
  7. As this is crowd sourced, we are achieving massive scale up
  8. As many students and faculty members participate in this activity,
     Scilab itself gets used widely
  9. This is repeated for a few other FOSS systems as well, such as
     Python, OpenFOAM (alternative to Fluent and StarCD) and OSCAD
     (alternative to OrCAD)
 10. As one needs the textbook to understand the code, it is a true
     companion - as nothing from the textbook is reproduced, there is
     no copyright violation either

If the above is not applicable for LibreOffice, can we think of another crowd sourced, targeted, activity? If by chance such a crowd sourced activity is already available for LibreOffice, we would like to explore it for India.

Regards,

Kannan

--
Bridging digital divide through FOSS and helping migration to Scilab from Matlab
http://spoken-tutorial.org/CSI.pdf