Hi Marc,

Thanks for your answer.
On 15/01/2013 07:03, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Sophie,

First off, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Le 2013-01-14 16:33, Sophie Gautier a écrit :
Hi all,
On 14/01/2013 21:46, Marc Paré wrote:
[...]

The FR team is more than welcome to start their (our) own blog and
marketing team. Nothing has ever stopped us from doing it. Other nl
groups are doing it. But in the meantime, if you read the thread from
Florian, there are plans coming.
Sorry to jump here, I'm not a marketer, but I would like to express some
ideas:
Marc, let me disagree here, it's not about the FR project but about a
general way the NL project are seen and the resources that are
offered/provided/requested to/by them. I lose 60% of my audience by
having my blog removed (that doesn't encourage me to go on of course)
but that means also that there is, inside our project, a
misunderstanding or a misconception about language representation and
their impact on the overall communication on the marketing side.

Taking care of our international EN site is another matter, it speaks
for the project and does not necessarily follow the schedule of other
parts of the project.

No, if we don't think to the overall community we are going to lose, or
pass by a lot of people, there is no difference between i18n and
NLprojects and one doesn't speak for another (or tell me what is
happening currently in the Russian project just for example).
That's a long time I said that if we settle a tool, whatever the usage,
it should be available for the overall community, and not only for the
common denominator. We should be equal to all and provide the same
resources for all. Otherwise, it's very discouraging for the isolated
efforts and it needs to double them at any time to only hope to be
visible and more important: to be effective. I know how it's easier to
say that we act for what might be the broader audience, but we deal with
people for people and they have a lot to say if we let them have a
chance to say it. And whatever the language, it's much better than
silence.

In fact we are both saying the same thing, however, I believe it's the
process by which to represent the blogs where differ.

I was not speaking about blogs only, but more on a general approach.

We have all agreed to the Project's communication medium as being that
of the language of international-EN. So, in this context, we need to
make sure that the project should be well served by the tools it uses to
make sure that we provide it to the outside world as our international
community voice. This, so far is working with a patchwork of different
software solutions.

Language is EN as a common denominator inside the project, but the
communication is in multiple languages, the contributions are in
multiple languages. And the patchwork of software used should be seen in
this specific environment.

That leaves us then to take care of our language communities, which for
now are not well served. This needs to be corrected, which, judging by
Florian's notes, assures us that this is forthcoming for both our
international-EN and nl blogs. If you are talking of putting all
languages into one large blog of multiple nl posts, there are better
ways to show our communities' vibrancy than by throwing them altogether
into the salad bowl and expecting people to pick out the bits that they
recognize. I for one, do not find it compelling to have to wade through
many posts of many languages to read something in my language of the
progress/news of my own community.

You don't feel it compelling, but it has proven to work, lot of people
are able to read several languages or understand the overall idea
expressed. However, I've no energy to battle on this. The most important
would be to have something working.

As you know, most recently, this was discussed on the FR and the website
lists and we looked at a particular model that may bring us closer to
this -- Planet OpenSouse (for those unfamiliar with these 2 threads, you
have to read through the complete posts to get the complete arguments
--> [1][2][3]). This, to me, would be a good solution to our blogging
communities -- however, the only critique I would have of this setup is
that I would prefer to see our blog readers land on our TDF/LibreOffice
international-EN blog first and then have our readers go on by choice to
the nl blogs they prefer. No particular language group would be left out
as they would not appear as an option unless they asked to be included
on the group of blogs. If then, the EN community did not decide to have
their own blog on the list of blogs, then so be it, but at least the EN
community would have an opportunity to blog for themselves.

Then, this will put us all (nl groups) on the same footing and on the
same level of importance.

I was talking about the overall approach on the communication tools,
those which are visible/searchable outside the project (wiki, ask,
extensions, etc). We should always have i18n in mind, even when
producing marketing material (no text, so no need to adapt/recreate the
message, see the donate banner for example).

Kind regards
Sophie