On 12 January 2013 19:18, webmaster-Kracked_P_P
<webmaster@krackedpress.com>wrote:

On 01/12/2013 01:00 PM, Kannan Moudgalya wrote:

Dear All,

MS Office is "more powerful than LibreOffice for one main reason, it is
bloated with so many features that it takes "in-depth guides" to know they
even exist.

Power isn't just about numbers of features.  Cloud based Office software
has many features missing when compared to MSO or LO/OOo but it enables
people to work collaboratively and provides a ready made backup of the
files accessible from anywhere on any machine. Now I have got used to this
I don't want to give it up and I suspect that is true of an increasing
number of users. As bandwidth increases and spread of the web gets
everywhere it is inevitable that cloud based software will become the norm,
the only real question is how long that will take given the inertia in the
user base.

 There has been figures like less that 1% of 1% of the business users
either know these features or know how to use them.  Do you really need to
do things like edit a spreadsheet table inside a Word document?  Do you
really need to do things in LibreOffice that are used by 1 out of 1,000,000
business users? Sure some feature are going to be used, but using a package
like Word or Writer for desktop publishing of a 100+ page magazine with all
of the fancy text and image options you can think of, might not be very
useful to the users we are targeting LO towards.  Sure, making newsletters
and other multi-column text/image documents under 20 pages or so is useful,
but more than that may not be for our market.  I would not even want to try
it with Word or LO, but I know there are those that do use a word processor
for very large desktop publishing needs.  Doable but not recommended.

The key is ease of use for the "standard user" not the 1 in 100,000 user.

But first the standard user has to become the standard user in a new
paradigm. I can see this happening with cloud based systems possibly with
local off-line use - like I can use my GPS off line if I download the maps
first. Really all that has to happen is for more features to get added.
Since it will take years to develop a clod based version of LO, if that
development is not started soon it could well be too late.

 The key is not adding so many features that it takes 1 to 5 GB of disk
space to install the package and 2 or 3 minutes to load up to the point
where you then can type or edit the document.

With a cloud system it takes zero time to load and the provider gives you
all the space you need. These arguments are about a time past not the
future or perhaps even the present.

 I still work on/with desktops and laptops that take 3+ minutes to boot up
MS Office 2003 to the point where it can be used.  Those same system take
less than 30 seconds to get LO to that same point.

But that is still 30 seconds slower than I can be working in Google Docs
and I have never lost a document in Google Docs through forgetting to save
it or a system crash. Forget trying to compete with MSO, that is really
yesterday's news.

deleted

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications <https://theingots.org/community/faq#7.0>

Headline points in the 2014 and 2015 school league tables

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.