On 1/2/13 6:59 PM, Immanuel Giulea wrote:

LibreOffice is a true free libre open source software (FLOSS) whereas
Apache's project is not recognized to be a free software by the Free
Software Foundation.

Apache Software Foundation is definitely supporting free software, and
is one of the oldets, largest and most estimated foundation in FLOSS.
The Document Foundation is a user of the Apache Web Server.

I would avoid writing that Apache is not free software in ANY of our
documents or web pages (actually, I would veto such a statement, as it
does not reflect our attitude vs ASF as a free software foundation,
which is extremely positive).

Actually, The Document Foundation development environment has been
inspired by ASF "rules for revolutionaries", which you can find here:
http://incubator.apache.org/learn/rules-for-revolutionaries.html.

Apache OpenOffice is a very peculiar project inside the Apache Software
Foundation, as is the only desktop software in a number of server side
software.

The problem at Apache OpenOffice is IBM with its attitude vs free
software, which does not change with time. Apache OpenOffice is free
software, althoug the presence of IBM behind the project - together with
the permissive license - is scaring for volunteers (as it is
demonstrated by history).

In any case, I would not use the license as a differenciator between AOO
and LibreOffice, because the license does not create a difference for
the average user.

I would just write that LibreOffice has a larger number of developers
because the copyleft license has been instrumental for attracting more
volunteer developers. And a larger number of developers translates into
a better product (in the medium to long term).

LibreOffice has received the backing from several commercial partners such
as Red Hat, Canonical, Intel, Google, etc.

OK

--
Italo Vignoli - italo.vignoli@gmail.com
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP 5316436@messagenet.it