On 12/31/2012 09:32 AM, Immanuel Giulea wrote:
In the new version of Office 2013, you will be able to:

*3. Edit PDF documents in Word 2013:* You can open a PDF in Word, and its
paragraphs, lists, tables, and other content act just like Word content.
You can make changes to the file as per your requirements and save it back
again as a PDF document. (1)

Will LO4 Writer be able to do that?

(1)
http://www.pc-tablet.com/11858-microsoft-office-2013-release-date-coming-10-features-office-2013/#xUK5qHZBSPEUjsZe.99

Testing LO 4.0 Beta 2 - PDF files are opened directly into Draw and can be edited there. This is the same as before. Writer can export to PDF and one of the options is to embed an odt version with the PDF to allowing editing with Writer. From the article I think Word-2013 is directly opening the PDF files but the author is unclear about this point.

A couple of points about direct editing PDF files. One PDF files are intend to be stand alone documents for users to read and if allowed enter data in specific fields. Direct editing of the PDF files is by users is not intended or desirable. This tends to undermine the idea that PDF documents are reference only documents because most end users can not edit them. If one can edit easily the source document such as an ODT file in Write and Export/Save/Print as a PDF file the real functionality exists for the creator to revise the PDF file as needed. The latter has been available in LO/AOO for sometime now. With an embedded ODT file, any user with LO can edit the PDF file.

I think the need of the creator to modify the source document is met by the LO export feature. IMHO users do not need the ability to modify PDF files except in some extremely rare circumstances. I have never modified a PDF file that I received or downloaded or needed to modify the these files. I only have ever needed to modify the PDF files I created, which I can do in LO already.

Looking at the list the author gave IMHO I do not see any feature that is a must have. I see many that are nice-to-have but are not going to make me want to buy MSO 2013. IMHO this is a problem of any office suite (LO/AOO/MSO/etc.) that new features are almost always nice-to-have at best for users but not something that will make them eagerly buy or download the latest version. Since LO and AOO are free, it is easier for me to justify upgrading; it only takes a few minutes of my time to upgrade which can be done at my convenience.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com