Hi Charles,

I'll keep it short as we have most likely argumented this enough to agree to disagree.

Le 2012-12-21 12:39, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :

I indeed think that you didn't get the memo (anyone follows the
board-discuss list here?). Marketing has been broken into two
"meta-tasks" or team  since this summer . Italo is very much in charge
of Marketing/Communications (MarCom) and I am in charge of the strategic
marketing, which does not involve communications, but does include all
the "rear" operations  that marketing needs, as well as community
building. Of course, no one is nitpicking and having preseances, so you
will see Italo here just as often as before, and we are not locked in
our clusters but are working jointly all together in a smooth way (which
we've been doing in the past).

Yes, I am on the board-discuss list and obviously missed the memo as well as the announcement on this list. Thanks for clearing this up.

As for the logo dilemma, would the use of a community logo and a product
logo confuse? No. Would we confuse the community and users/enterprises
if we used one logo? Yes. Unfortunately, we started off with a "product
logo" and IMO we should work towards another similar logo but with very
subtle differences to identify our community.

Do we need a product logo? Yes, we absolutely need a product logo.
Without a product logo, we risk confusing corporate/enterprise adoption
and to a lesser extent user adoption. Competition in the OfficeSuite
universe is fierce and going without a product logo does not seem like a
good plan. Do we need a community logo? Yes, because we need to
community build and people get that "fuzzy warm" feeling when they cozy
up to a community logo.

Hope this clears up my opinions on this a bit.

I now understand many of your points above, although I still don't get
yours on the community logo.

I am not sure how much more information I could provide. Simply said, we created a product logo which has attained market presence (identification). IMO, we should not use it for community identification but propose we adopt a similar logo which is modified in a subtle way for community representation. This would allow us to market both brands and allow more marketing flexibility with both community-brand and product-brand.

Abandoning our product-brand logo, and, re-defining it as a community-product-brand logo, IMO, would not be a good plan from a marketing point of view.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré