Hi Charles,

Le 2012-12-18 07:38, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Le mardi 18 décembre 2012 à 07:26 -0500, Marc Paré a écrit :

Thanks for the link. Yes, now I do remember reading it.

Am I correct when I say that the resulting decision is that we are now
to "market" NOT the LibreOffice Office Suite, but rather our community
project first which has a product to offer our members and anyone else
interested?

Is this the new line of thinking we are to adopt?

Yes, that's the general idea; that's the strategy. Tactics do include
product pages of course but no classical SWOTs and segmentation
analysis. So yes, the new line of thinking is not about the product but
about the community, and how, process wise, the marketing team should
act as an information broker inside the project and outside it.

Best,
Charles.

I definitely like this approach better than that of just "peddling" a product. Our community are the "crown jewels" of the project!

I have thought at times that perhaps we should market ourselves, as you have already mentioned on another thread, "THE" TDF/LibreOffice project. The LibreOffice banner then representing our community and not the product (I was happy to hear you express this thought).

At times, I have thought of suggesting we change our approach to marketing the project as a "community of users who develop a product for their own use". So, in this instance, the community develops the LO product for their own personal use and people interested in using the product would "join" the community to take advantage of the LO product. In essence, users would automatically be considered LO community members by default (we would have to find a way to "register" the new members in some very minor way). This would make all users part of the community -- a sort of community registration process where the user affirms her/his wish to use our community software ... to which we would always agree. This would also apply to enterprises, institutions etc.

Anyway, a little more radical than the process you suggest.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré