________________________________
From: webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <webmaster@krackedpress.com>
To: marketing@libreoffice.org
Sent: Sat, 21 May, 2011 2:03:45
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Updated (EN) tri-fold brochure

On 05/20/2011 06:21 PM, toki wrote:

On 20/05/2011 20:23, Tom Davies wrote:

Do we need it to be perfect first time?
I don't believe there is any such thing as perfection.
Over time, the brochure will change.

Or, going the other way isn't it dangerous to mention non-Windows platforms?
Is
  it wise to mention other platforms at all?

The brochure should list the OSes found on the DVD.
That is does.
On the DVD you can have a more extensive document that states what
operating systems LibO has been compiled for, and where to obtain the
compiled binaries, and source code.

We do not have the page[s] for developers and hackers, like the German DVD had
when we started this NA project.  Thought that it would confuse the "normal"
user and for those who would want that info, the files on the DVD would be way
out-of-date within a week of our re-editing of the DVD file contents for that
section.
If there is enough space on the brochure, you can state the half dozen
or so operating systems that Windows users have never heard of, that
LibO has been ported to.

If LibO is ported to Android, iOS (Apple), or Blackberry OS, then a
different brochure for mobile platforms can be constructed.

Windows, Linux [.deb, .rpm], MacOSX [Intel, PPC], plus the Windows portable
version.
That is what is on the main DVD.

Plus, except for Windows, there are only a few language files other than
English.  It would be too much to have all 113 languages on one DVD.  We do
English, Spanish, French, and a few more [mostly niche ones].

As for Android and the other ports, I have not really heard much about those,
but hope they will come with the popularity of the iPad style of systems.  Now
you have system that use your HDTV for web browsing and social network work.
Could you next do office suite work as well?

If LibO is ported to XrossMediaBar, Xbox 360 system software, or Wii
system software, then a different brochure for gaming platforms can be
constructed. (I can see it now: "How to use the Wii nunchak to edit an
Impress presentation".)

jonathon

Hi :)
This is why i think we don't need instructions on the tri-fold detailing  how to
install or use on all platforms.

Listing the platforms is one thing.  It 'should' be quite easy to put a 3 letter
name into an existing list just to show-off that we already beat our main
competition (MSO NOT OpenOffice) in being more cross-platform than they are.

I think we  we don't yet have a port to Android, iOS (Apple), or Blackberry OS
and are not fully compatible with existing Cloud packages such as Google Docs
and we don't yet have a proper Cloud version ourself.  However, all those things
are heavily unix-based.  Most big servers run a unix-based OS, often BSD as it
happens.  So, mentioning that we can run on BSD reinforces the message that we
are more comfortable in unix-based systems.  Ports to other unix-based platforms
is likely to be easier for us than for our competition.  Once ported our updates
and upgrades are more likely to port more easily and more relevantly than code
written for Windows and then translated across to unix-based platforms.

Mentioning BSD in the list of platforms that LibreOffice can run on does NOT
mean that we need to have detailed instructions on the tri-fold.  BSDers can
find their own way through their own forums or documentation, or ours (when the
work (which is sort-of in progress) is done).

As for instructions for installing what is included on the Dvd i think only the
simplest case needs to be covered, then point to the documentation included on
the Dvd for people that want an "advanced install".

I think it is smart to include certain core languages such as Spanish.
Obviously not everyone's native language can be included but many people can
understand more than one language so carefully choosing the right ones means
that more people can get the basics done and install a preferred language pack
later, if they need to.  It would be nice to see about 5 more; Chinese, Swahili,
Russian, Hindi(?) and Arabic but i think the ones chosen already overlap with
most of those so i think the choices already included are good.

As i keep saying i think the American Team can go with the leaflet as it is
already.  Perhaps just only my own opinion.  It looks almost perfect to me
(apart from the funny non-English(GB) spellings which always look a bit weird to
me).  While the American Team might want to think about input from outsiders in
the end it is up to them how and when they initially release.  I thought the
whole point of posting the link to their w-i-p was to seek feedback from the
rest of us.  Star-Trek Captains listen to advice from their crew but then go
with a decision that might ignore all that advice.  In the same way i don't
expect the American Team, or any other project, to change everything due to
someone's personal opinions especially if it has been discussed before.

Regards from
Tom :)