On 04/22/2011 07:47 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
[...]
We also need to tell such companies that there is also commercial
support from Novell (http://www.novell.com/products/libreoffice/)
should they need commercial support but also that our user mailist is
quite as capable of providing support. Most companies will and should
be concerned with commercial support for the product.

Given Novell's past dealings with Microsoft and their status as a
corporation that cares mostly for their assets, I can't really justify
using that as any leverage when presenting LibreOffice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell#Agreement_with_Microsoft

We should instead further local membership of the TDF, encourage local
development and support from local companies, identify smaller partners
that will put their herat & soul into this. My focus in the past few
months has been to be visible to FOSS service providers and consultants
that want to migrate their existing OOo offering to LibO and making sure
they know I do both: end-user/small-business consulting/training and
larger accounts consulting too. So far it's working quite well here in
Quebec.

This above is my *personal* experience and opinion, shared by many
closer colleagues and friends.

The shakeup from the closing down of OpenOffice.org will take a while
to work its way through the OOo user base. We should take the occasion
to press-release to as many Tech organisatons, especially the Windows
publications, that LibreOffice is now the path to update/upgrades to OOo.

I keep hearing this. The fact is several bigger organizations and
governments are already in testing/pilot using LibO - I wouldn't get too
comfortable with any perceived lead time.

I would press-release to business magazines and non-tech publications
instead. The mere fact several long-ignored bugs are being addressed in
LibO is sufficient to draw much more attention than any other
consideration. Yes, update/upgrade path is vocabulary we should use as
it's widely understood.

BTW, talking of OOo, there is still no word from Oracle of the fate of
the trademarked OOo.org name. IMHO, if Oracle offers it to the
TDF/LibreOffice community, we should pick it up, as this would permit
us a little more control over the changeover from OOo usage to the
LibreOffice brand. It could smoothen up the move rather than creating
a shock through the world of OOo users.
[...]