Le 2011-04-22 10:29, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions a écrit :

I had to deal with a tech guy from my local/regional cable [and
Internet] company. He told me, after I started in on my free software
chatter, that they use OpenOffice. I told him about Oracle dropping
their support of it after LibreOffice came out in its big splash.

I told him that LibreOffice's first release was much better than the
same release of OOo and the 100's of articles that claim the same thing.

I told him that if they wanted, I would freely provide them with the NA
DVD, but gave him a printout with the URLs on how to find LibreOffice.
He told me he would get the message to the IT people about Oracle no
longer supporting OOo and that LibreOffice may be the way to go from
here on out. I also told him that LibreOffice's menus look the same as
OOo and work with the same file types. But, I also told him that it
works better that OOo.

I think this was another case of a company not having the resources to
keep using MSO when they need the money to increase their physical
cable/net/digital-phone network [hardware and software].

This is another example on talking to someone about something else, and
then letting them know about you not wanting/affording to use paid
software and one of your solutions is using LibreOffice as you office
suite.

I was surprised that they already went to OOo, but it is good that they
are now thinking about Open-Source software to fill their needs.

Just for the record. The cable company's parent is Time-Warner - owner
of CNN and many other media companies. I wonder how far up the company
chain does the use of OOo goes? It would be nice if it went all the way
to the main corporate center in Atlanta Georgia.

We also need to tell such companies that there is also commercial support from Novell (http://www.novell.com/products/libreoffice/) should they need commercial support but also that our user mailist is quite as capable of providing support. Most companies will and should be concerned with commercial support for the product.

The shakeup from the closing down of OpenOffice.org will take a while to work its way through the OOo user base. We should take the occasion to press-release to as many Tech organisatons, especially the Windows publications, that LibreOffice is now the path to update/upgrades to OOo.

BTW, talking of OOo, there is still no word from Oracle of the fate of the trademarked OOo.org name. IMHO, if Oracle offers it to the TDF/LibreOffice community, we should pick it up, as this would permit us a little more control over the changeover from OOo usage to the LibreOffice brand. It could smoothen up the move rather than creating a shock through the world of OOo users.

Cheers

Marc