On 03/04/2011 10:07 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 2011-03-03 18:03, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions a écrit :
On 03/03/2011 04:44 PM, drew wrote:
On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 16:42 -0500, drew wrote:
On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 16:16 -0500, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:

Someone on this list must know where I can get my answers without
subscribing to the various list.
Ok - let's start here - have you looked at the wiki page?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Accessibility

If you start with that page, what other information are you looking for?
sorry for answering myself - but - for one thing the extensions
information is well a bit weak, the information regarding ODTBraille.oxt
is not present and the others lacking, IMO.
I was even given that information.

Hi Tim:

I am on the accessibility list as well. I have to say that the traffic is quite low for now (2-3 messages/month) although the members are quite knowledgeable. The list is quite a new area for me and I joined out of curiosity about accessibility considerations in LibreOffice.

It sounds like the Accessibility area of our main website is perhaps not as descriptive and informative as it should be. I'll leave a note on the list asking if some of the members could take a look at the page to see if there is a need for more information. Perhaps we are not that strong in this area and it is reflected by the amount of information provided on the website page. I'm not sure.

Cheers

Marc

Thanks Marc. It would be a good marketing aspect if LibreOffice can state that they are working towards making their package as accessible as possible for all users, including those who have special accessibility needs.

I wonder if any of the Voice-to-Text packages like "Dragon" that is advertised on TV works with LibreOffice. If LibreOffice is known to work with some of these packages [Microsoft had a free one once], then it could be stated as well. Whatever can be stated that makes LibreOffice easy to use [especially easier than MSO] would be an advantage. This package is not "completely" supporting .docx and other of the newest MSO file formats, but hopefully that will become better supported. Stating it can read/write Word .doc and Excel .xlt files works for my clients when I do computer support. I still get/use those types of files and templates and even though I save my copies to ODF formats, I send them on as MSO files to those who have not yet switched due to "agency" IT policies. Many of these agencies are those who support the needs of the disabled/impaired individuals, both adult and youth.

I have a statement on the demo site for the Americas DVD project.
[quote]
LibreOffice supports a large number of file formats, including the following:

Open Document Format [ODF], Microsoft® Office file formats, HTML,
WordPerfect, Rich Text Format, Lotus formats, Office Open XML, along with
many other word processor, database, spreadsheet, image/drawing, and
other formats used for personal and business needs.
[unquote]

It seems that there are over 80 lines in the open file type option in the initial screen. It may be a good idea to list out all these supported files some place on the distribution DVDs when you give information about what file formats LibreOffice can read and those it can write as. It may be something that could be given out on a sheet or brochure with the CD/DVD copy of LibreOffice. I am thinking about that myself. If there is something like that already made, it would be easier than me making one up.

But back to the Accessibility issue. It would be nice to be known as an organization the cares about the needs of better accessibility for software packages. Though it is a small market group, it seems to be good press. And the more good press LibreOffice gets, the better it is, Right?