Hi Marc, *,

first of all: Thanks for coordinating that topic.

And: Sorry all for beeing so quite all that discussion long although
DVD/USB ISO files is my/our topic.

Attention: Long mail!

For whom not knowing: I'm one of mainly three people (Erich Christian
and Uwe Richter and - last - me) driving the libreofficebox project.
Beeing called a "club" (hi drew! :o)) ) doesn't describe "our" reality
even if the impression might come up *here*.

Let me point to a mail from Erich on the libreoffice-website list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/website@libreoffice.org/msg04017.html

There he describes what we did already and what we plan to enable the
authoring by the community public.

In short:

Since the start of Libreoffice we did:

- Move the authoring of the contents from hand coding to Silverstripe
  CMS (Thanks Christian Lohmaier for all Your help!)

- setup an extracting routine to gain the static content necessary for
  the ISO file's content (again: Thanks Christian for all Your help!)

- setup the first steps for mirroring the released ISO files. This
  happens for http download as well as P2P Bittorrent. Thanks Peter Pöml
  from mirrorbrain)

What we plan/work on:

- moving the CMS on the machine of purpose - it isn't yet.

- setting up the CMS' ablility for multiple projects - no matter whether
  targeted to language, region or whatever wanted. That's matter of
  needs or even preferences!

- going forward to reuse our efficient workflow to extract and publish
  ISO files.

- part of this: going forward reuse our efficient test environment
  including immediate availability of "snapshot" ISO files via P2P
  download to have throughout tested releases.

In short words:
Past five months our ISO production machine was disassembled, moved,
temporarily setup on a new place - all wires hanging around, and has to
be moved again for having good integration to the mirror system to
address the task of quick handling that big files. Problems with the
latter you face now as far as I see.

I'd like rather to present you all things done already and call for
participation, but some events in my real live hindered me to get all
the technical stuff done. The plan and the parts already exist but no
time was left to adapt and put together the parts and connect the
hanging wires.

Now I'm diving up and first steps are done to share the technical work.

After the release of librebox-3.3.1-1 (hi Charles - I like it that way!
:o)) ) coming these days, we'll do the change and setup CMS and URL/DNS
stuff. I see then no problem bringing in already elaborated stuff of the
Northamerican DVD if that is an option for You.

Marc Paré schrieb:

This thread was moved from the BrOffice thread.

Re: P2P use. Let's not forget that our calls for a server where the
ISO could be hosted was to enable more of the DVD team members to work
collaboratively on authoring the DVD. It would also be a lot simpler
to ftp corrected html or code to the server rather than working
through a P2P connection.

That's true. See above: CMS based collaboration system is up and
running..

So, as there seems to be a solid interest on completing the "North
American" DVD (and possibly changing it to an "Americas DVD"), could
the TDF offer us server space for work on the project? The
LibreOffice-Box team is being hosted by the TDF. Could our project
also be hosted by the TDF? We are also basing our project from the
LibreOffice-Box project, so the base that we are working with is
common to both projects.

I'd think it's a good idea to integrate the several efforts in a
technical sense in the near future. The contents should be each projects
concern.  As Bernhard wrote: finally especially heavy weight files can
be shared easily on several areas.

I believe there are enough of the SC membership here to give us some
kind of direction for this.

Here is the area with our static content:
http://devel.libreofficebox.org/static/

I'll propose, the Americas DVD people having a space according to that
scheme and come back with details, if you like.

Having there all data in place, we can compile the ISO files and put in
the mirror system, if you'd like us to do ;o)).

And yes, maybe my response times are not as immediate as should be, but
I'll try to keep them as short as possible.

And one more thing:
Please keep all kind of ISO issues on *one* international list. Maybe
this one or - preferably - the website list, which Erich follows. No
matter which one, keep it *on one*, thanks.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/