Hi Jeff, Hi all,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:33:24 -0700
Jeff Chimene <jchimene@gmail.com> wrote:

I took a quick glance at the package listing in Debian Sid. It looks
like they're going to include a lot of goodies that will make a nice
toolchain for writers.

 I hope they do a good job

It looks like there's some housekeeping that needs doing to make the
raw package fit into the Debian standard file locations. To be
honest, I was a bit more concerned about branding issues (like
FireFox, TBird issues). Certainly including the optional bits will
make it a nice starting point for us (marketing) and downstream
distros.

but I use LibreOffice's web site .deb version on my desktop and I
do hope it does not get messed up when it goes to registry.

Right. However, it does mean that you're responsible for handling the
updates (but you knew that). I seriously doubt you will want the
version installed via the LibO web site in parallel with the version
from the repository. I'm guessing that your current version's
binaries are in /opt. When you load it from the repository, the
binaries will be in /usr/bin.

I'm really of two minds on this. There is some software (Eclipse)
that I want the bleeding edge. It looks like LibO will also be of
that class.

I will probably install LibO via Apt (from what I believe you refer
to as "The Registry") just to see how it looks. However, since I will
want to track release candidates, I won't use the repository for this
package.

Just to let you know: Rene Engelhard and I are not hiding in some deep
dark dungeon. We are both part of the project and you can reach us here
on the mailing lists and also on IRC. So if you have proposals for the
packaging on Ubuntu or Debian, please let us know -- or, better yet:
send us a patch. If you are interested, you will find the packaging
repository here:

 http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-openoffice/libreoffice.git;a=summary

As for the status: AFAIK 3.3.1-1 is already building for Debian
unstable (ask Rene for details). For Ubuntu, there is a 3.3.1~rc2
version (same as final sourcewise, but missing some debian patches) for
natty building in the libreoffice ppa:

 https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

If that build is good it will get into the main repository. Then, after
adding the remaining finetuning that Rene did for 3.3.1, I will also
make a version for maverick available in the ppa.

Best Regards,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen