Hi Marc,

thanks for putting together the marketing page ... a great start and a
very useful resource :-)

And, finally moving this discussion to the marketing list ...

Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2011, 19:40 -0500 schrieb Marc Paré:
Le 2011-02-10 16:51, Christoph Noack a écrit :
Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2011, 06:21 -0500 schrieb Marc Paré:
[... FOSDEM and the LibreOffice booth ...]

I saw that you also had some USB flash drive. Were these give-aways or
for sale? If you had internet connection, what did you take with you and
what would you have preferred?

Concerning the flash drives: These had been prepared by the Novell guys
(Michael, as far as I remember) and contained the full development GIT
repository. So if anybody wanted to start coding ... no excuses :-)
These flash drives were not "given away", but people could borrow the
stick to copy the files.

Jacqueline showed very cool ones ... shaped like a "real key" and
LibreOffice engraved.

However, as far as I know, they have never been provided "for
free" (thinking of the time with OpenOffice.org) - far too costly with
regard to those people who just "hunt" swag. But, since some people
really suffer from slow Internet connections, the German community
always cheaply offered the PrOOo-Box (now: LibreOffice-Box) with and
without some documentation. Concerning the latter, this was always
really helpful for new users ...

What also worked very well: on a conference like the CeBit, users got
those flash drives by commercial exhibitors. So we offered to copy them
OpenOffice.org on these drives ... and the time could easily be used to
give them some introduction, or to answer there questions. I perceived
that people were usually really grateful for that ... and it
communicated the "personal touch" of a real community.

Ah, by the way, since I once perceived a lack of time for the booth
guys, I proposed a "self copy terminal" ... translated via Google:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%
2Fwiki.services.openoffice.org%2Fwiki%2FDE%
2FOpenOffice.org_Kopierterminal

Concerning an Internet connection - fortunately, it was available at the
FOSDEM for free. Since it is rather costly when attending commercial
exhibitions, you should take "everything" with you.

But since we are at it - what you require strongly depends on the
conference. Although I don't have that much experience (Thomas,
Jacqueline, ... are the experts here), some thoughts.
      * Extreme 1 "CeBit":
              * You should well prepared to serve private users -
                documentation, flyers, FAQs, CDs, etc.
              * The German team also brought several computers to show /
                explain OOo on the different platforms. And, very
                helpful, a small card that quickly summarizes the
                project and tells people where to get support (locally).
              * Private laptops help to explain stuff to users, if the
                booth is crowded. But don't forget a lock to secure the
                computer...
              * You need a *lot* of patience.
      * Extreme 2 "FOSDEM":
              * You don't need that much explanation if only FLOSS
                people attend - everybody is aware what you are doing.
              * We had only one computer to quickly show what's new ...
                oh wait ... there has been a second one running a build
                process.
              * T-Shirts, T-Shirts, T-Shirts, ...

Maybe also mention a bit on how you financed the articles for the
conference. Did you get some funding support?

I don't really know - I've heard that Novell sponsored some of the
shirts for the "clothes for coding". The remaining clothes, and the
stickers had been paid by Kendy (the stuff got sold). The large banner,
the pens and the lanyards have been made available by the German team
(OOoDeV?). The small banners and the sweets have been paid privately.

[...]

Since you originally asked for some more pictures covering the booth,
here is a "just excellent" blog posting by Bubli:
http://hedgehogpainter.livejournal.com/11599.html

Did that help?

Cheers,
Christoph