[libreoffice-marketing] Starting something like LibreCon

Right after the anncouncement of LibreOffice and The Document Foundation, I did an interview with Thomas Krumbein for Netzwelt.de, one of the largest online IT magazines in Germany. I am regularly writing for some tech media, but mainly I'm General Partner at Sucomo, a (small) consulting agency focused on the media industry (HQ in Jena).

In the last few weeks, I kept an eye on what's going on with LibreOffice and the Document Foundation. The things that have already been achieved are great, but in my opinion there is something important still missing: We don't have anything like a LibreCon, not even discussed it. Of course, OO.org Annual Conference seems to be held in 2011, too. Also, we have the "OO.org Kongress für Wirtschaft und Verwaltung" dedicated to business and governmental users.

But so far, there is nothing dedicated to LibreOffice. So I suggest to discuss starting something like a LibreCon this year, where the community meets for discussing LibreOffice itself, the Document Foundation as well as strategic stuff like fundraising and setting up legal entities (foundation? association?). The idea of "LibreCon", however we may call it at a later stage, came to my mind because my company is not new to organizing conferences. And if the community wants it, we would be glad to help building a place for LibreOffice users, developers and partners to meet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about having a dedicated conference for LibreOffice / TDF.

Best regards,
Markus Franz