Hi :)

The PC World article follows another biased and similarly inaccurate article by
the same author in November.

Note that at the bottom of the article you can vote yes or no for whether the
article "was useful" without having to register with them but to post a comment
you would need to register.

Generally i avoid registering with sites that happily post such garbage and it
upsets me that the author got paid for the article.  Most people that post in
here (even the complainers) put far more work and intelligence into their posts
but none would expect any kind of payment.

The author has allegedly been writing articles in this IT hobbyist's mag and
even has written a few "best sellers".  However he seems to have no idea about
the existence of xml (and possibly html) or java-script.  His review is based on
installing on 2 machines both of which appear to suffer from user-error in their
basic set-up.  The 2 'fancy features' in the newer MS Office seem to be avoided
in most offices i have seen lately, even the adamantly pro-MS ones.

The fact that many people will read and value such nonsense is disturbing.
Presumably the value is that it re-confirms certain people's limited world view
without them having to actually have a look for themselves.  I hope we can do
without such people.  Such people are one of the best reasons for moving away
from MS imo and i am glad to miss them.

To anyone with even a tiny amount of general computer knowledge the author is
clearly a fool with a paycheck.  It reminds me of the Mark Twain quote in
DistroWatch "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to
open it and remove all doubt." (Mark Twain)

However, it does get people talking about LibreOffice in the mainstream IT.  Is
there any such thing as bad publicity?  For example by looking up this article
and voting "No" shows the magazine that such articles are popular and encourages
them to pay for more similar nonsense.

The work that people do for LibreOffice will far out-last such nonsense as that
article.
Regards to all from
Tom :)