Hi Drew,

Le Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:56:49 -0500,
drew <drew@baseanswers.com> a écrit :

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 14:26 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Hello,

the coverage of LibreOffice 3.3 is generally good, and the span of
the coverage (the number of written articles) is excellent.

Anyone , any journalist is entitled to his/her own opinion, but this
article is somewhat problematic. I usually read these articles and
their comments carefully. They are often good sources to understand
the "outside" perception of an OSS project or product. Yet I don't
manage to find one point that is not sheer and free criticism of
LibreOffice in this one.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/217679/libreoffice_33_handson_with_the_free_office_suite.html
My question might be naive so bear on with me: how can we avoid this
amount of crap ? "it's really only good for Open Source Developers
but not in real life" That's not journalism that's prejudice. "I
miss SharePoint"..WTF?

Your comments are welcome (note: I might have taken the issue in a
completely wrong way).

Hi Charles,

That would be bad if he wrote that, but I can't find those words in
that article anywhere?

//drew

on SVG: "For example, Writer can now insert scalable vector graphics
(SVG) images. You can edit SVG graphics in the Draw graphics editor
too. SVG is liked by open source programmers because it's an open
standard but it sees little use in the real world outside of Web
browsers."

On Sharepoint and his love for MS Office:
"But that's about it. It's very hard to find anything to write home
about. Arguably the biggest additions to Microsoft Office in recent
years have been OneNote, the fantastically useful note-taking
application, and SharePoint Workspace, which allows collaborative
working. Sadly, there's just nothing like either in LibreOffice 3.3.
It's a release that would have been stunning in 2000, but is now
slightly anachronistic and dull."

This is also interesting:
"Another programmer friendly feature is that Writer can now "load and
save ODF documents in flat XML to make external XSLT processing
easier." I've no idea what that means. I suspect it's to do with
exporting documents to archiving systems. Calc now supports up to one
million rows, again arguably useful only to people that use
spreadsheets for serious data wrangling."

and generally speaking:

"The biggest disappointment is the lack of any cloud tie-in. How a
major new release of any office software can lack this is a mystery.
The rather pompous manifesto of the Document Foundation, the
organization behind LibreOffice, makes absolutely no mention of the
cloud."

My beef with this article is not the critical point of view. It's just
that anything is criticized with almost no intelligence and that this
is no "Cloud Fan" nor "MS Office fan" talking: it's both, but it
somehow does not make sense at all. (I want Onenote! your stuff is too
easy! no, it's too complex! I want Google Docs!)

Best,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Membre du Comité exécutif