Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Free & Libre are bad "selling points"

Hi :)

The assumption in this list appears to be that "free" is the only "unique
selling point" (=USP) that LibreOffice has and that it will generate large-scale
uptake.

However, i think 10years of OpenOffice using that USP has resulted in
MicroSquish dominating the market. This proves that the USP of being free has
NOT been favourable.

If 10 years worth of real-life data is not enough then i doubt a market survey
will make much difference.

In that same time-frame Firefox grew by a very much larger percentage to the
point where it has now overtaken Internet Explorer within the same time-frame.
Firefox did have the advantage that people though IE was free and therefore were
relatively happy to accept that IE might not be high quality.

Ubuntu has also grown in a similar time-frame to the point that in almost any
newsagents you will see at least 1 magazine mentioning it or even carrying a
full article about it. Where are the articles about OpenOffice?

Regards from
Tom :)