On 29 December 2010 15:38, Charles-H. Schulz <
charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hello James,

It's good and useful to play the devil's advocate. Let me give you some
arguments that you can use in your conversations.

The LibO project is a meritocracy; it is not a democracy - in fact I
don't think there's even one FOSS project that is democratic in its
processes.

I think that is an over-simplification. The fact that members of the OOo
community "voted with their feet" to set up TDF and LibO shows that there
are democratic pressures on any open source community with the ultimate
sanction of a fork. Even parliamentary democracies are representative ie the
representatives of the people don't give them exactly what they want on
every issue. At election time that representation can change but as we have
seen an "election" can effectively take place and generate a fork in a FOSS
project at any time.

It is not chaos either.  Meritocracy means that the people
who get to contribute in a seizable way - call the shots.

Again I'd say that is an over-simplification. Sun called the shots then
Oracle because they put in the most resource. The community didn't like the
way that resource was being used so the project forks. Meritocracy and
Democracy are not that easy to separate. In general parties get voted in on
perceived merit at the time of an election. I think there are many
similarities with FOSS projects.

Basically
it's about people who do -not anything in any random way- but it's
about people bringing things to the common pot. The best example is the
developers. Developers code, submit patches, etc.

But that is only one part of the whole picture. If they don't produce what
end users want, end users will again vote with their feet.

We have, just like any other FOSS project out there, set up some basic
governance and rules to be respected; and just like any FOSS project,
we have also defined what are the criteria to become a member of our
community and a contributor. I hope you read the bylaws? They're in
some respect explanatory and clarify many things in such a way that
it's obvious that this isn't about a small group of people controlling
everything.

Now, regarding the differences with
OpenOffice.org, you could contribute all you wanted; most of the
processes weren't there or were documented, and besides, you had to
face one entity controlling everything.

The one that contributed the most resources :-) Meritocracy?

So no matter what you did, the
ultimate criterion to know whether one patch or one decision was being
accepted was the steward of the code and main sponsor's own will. It's
hardly governance.

Well it is not a democracy is it? Well it isn't if there is no other choice
but of course there is, you can fork the project or go and work with KOffice
for example.

So really there are aspects of meritocracy and democracy in all political
systems. None is purely one thing or the other.

The situation TDF is currently in calls for a specific clarification.
We are right now in a transitory period. A lot of things are either not
being defined or are in the process of being set up. Among them, our
foundation is being set up but as long as it will not be fully
incorporated (and it will take several months) the Steering Committee
will function in a way which does not fully comply with our bylaws. It
is transitory and we're trying our best to document our actions and our
decisions, while taking the input of our contributors in consideration.

I hope it has answered some of your questions.

best,
Charles.

Le Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:50:27 -0500,