Our competitors are selling their product for about $50 per unit and many people
would say that by selling for less we are saying our product is worth that much
less.  Their logic is that if product A costs $50 then it is worth $50 and if
product B sells at $5 then product A is 'obviously' the better product.

Selling the product for $1.25 is insultingly low and really says the product is
not really worth buying at all!

The Free Software Foundation is not against people selling or profiting from
Free/OpenSource software.  The GPL is not against it either.  The caveat is that
when the product is sold (or even given away) the potential recipient is given
the address of where they can get a copy of the Source Code.  Personally i would
tend to go further and give them the address of where they can download the
product for free.

When selling the product it would be ideal if the 'vendor' could keep a fair
profit in addition to covering costs.  How else are we going to get established
distribution networks to sell the product?  If established retailers are never
going to sell the product then what other distribution networks are we going to
use?  Perhaps we should rely on drug-dealers or some similar dodgy-looking
network to take care of pushing our product for us!

Yes, ideally some of that money would go back into TDF but at the very least
some needs to cover the costs, including time & effort, storage and all the rest
of the costs that people don't notice when they are committed to to fighting for
a good cause.

I would say $5 or even $10 is about right, or £5 or £10 in the Uk.  It is just
enough to make people realise that it is a legitimate product without being as
much as the market would be willing to spend if they realised how good the
product is.
Regards from
Tom :)