On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 00:05 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hi Ralph,

Ralph H. wrote on 2010-12-03 16.24:
the pirate party of germany had an open list and an open wiki to
create and talk about press releases. it did backfire in all possible
ways.
we had vandalism, presspeople trying to get a pressrelease earlier*,
very long discussions with people not in the pressteam (making the
release late)

thanks for sharing. I see the concerns. Then I would propose one private
list for marketing in general, and avoid the distinction we had over at
OOo with marcon@ and pr@ - I guess one closed list is enough, and we
should make everything public that's possible. People usually tend to
send everything to the private list, which is bad. :-)

What do you all think about one private list?

Hello Florian

IMO, there is no way to get below one private list.

Production of a PR is one good example of why I'd say.

There are going to be specific tasks and discussions from time to time
that require even more privacy then this single list can provide IMO,
again I think that is inevitable. I would be loathe to create a second
private list actually, however.

Instead a proposal for the best way to handle that is by convention,
specifically:

When some community effort must be done under these more private terms
one of the participants actually posts to either a public, or the
private, list something along the lines of - "so and so" will be doing
"such and such", we'll get back to the group later with the results.

I honestly don't think it needs be much more then that. Private
communication when needed and transparency.

As for the problem of over use of the private list, seems to me that is
best handled, again. by convention _and_ someone being willing to
actually enforce the convention - meaning simply, if they see topics
being posted to the private list, that they feel should be public, they
politely ask the poster to move it over. A happy task for the list
moderator perhaps :-?

Any how, just my 2 bits.

Best wishes,

Drew