thanks everyone for picking this up, and once again, sorry for stepping in that late. :-(

Italo Vignoli wrote on 2010-11-17 02.46:

Sending out emails is not a problem: I use a professional tool for PR
distribution, and I am able to send over 3.000 emails in one hour (the
Italian media list alone is over 700 emails). We cannot have the list on
the wiki for privacy and confidentiality reasons, and also because I
would avoid giving the competition an unfair advantage. Therefore, we
should have a private mailing list and a protected area on the wiki for
the announcement (sorry guys, but here in Europe competition is quite
strong).

If there is already a mailing list, then we can just collect emails. If
the mailing list is missing (which I think is the case for many areas),
we should start collecting emails at least of the editorial staff (many
are on the web site, but if they are missing, it is usually enough to
ask a polite question about the best way to send press releases).

I suggest to create a very simple spreadsheet with five columns: name,
surname, media title, email, country. At the moment, this should be enough.

Once we have the mailing list, we will talk - privately - about the
distribution and pitching strategy.

technically speaking, we should distinct between two things:

1. a discussion platform for prepraration of PRs

I would like to be as open as possible, and avoid having lots of private lists like we had with OOo. However, I acknowledge that there might be reasons for having documents not in public before we go out, so later on, it might make sense to indeed have a private marketing list that's not open to all the world. I, however, would like to decided that when needed. We promised openness and transparency, and should fulfill that whereever possible.

2. a distribution system for journalists

We could use, as we did previously with OOo DE project, build up a database with some details and then send out from the server.

What I, however, would propose, is to set-up a real mailing list -- the announcement lists fit very well for that, but also a dedicated pr list is an option. Then, you maintain that list, and send out your PRs there via e-mail, and only a few people can moderate the messages. The drawback of this solution is, however, that you cannot store more data than e-mail and name in the list, no phone number and the like.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108