On 11/20/2010 11:49 PM, drew wrote:

Your speaking as if there is only one view of the web site, there is not
when under the control of a CMS system. There is a view that is
published, official in other words

Please remember that I behave like a user (and sometimes like a journalist) and not like a technical guy. I always refer to what users see, and I am concerned about what users see. I never think about what you do not see, because it does not exist for the majority of people accessing the web site.

Marketing is about the people who do not understand, and the biggest mistake of the OOo project - and of free software projects in general - is marketing done by and for technical guys. We must be careful about avoiding the same mistake.

Also, there two sites TDF and LibO, isn't much of what you would be
concerned with, as far as this official communication channel makes most
sense at the TDF site?
In some previous emails I've tried to argue the LibO site be about users
and TDF about workers, but this is a good reason to rethink that opinion
it seems. Perhaps it is appropriate rather to think of the LibO domain
for the main work site, along with user support (distro, etc) and think
of the TDF site as more of an official communication organ.

We cannot decide where people will navigate, and which information they will access from which web site. Of course, we will cross reference the two web sites, but I think that the TDF web site should be more like a corporate web site (foundation documents, press releases, developers stuff, etcetera) and LibO web site should be the product web site (downloads, product backgrounds, etcetera).

Users will navigate according to what they are looking for, most of the times through search engines but this does not guarantee that they will follow the patterns we decide (actually, they will never follow these patterns).

The web site is not intended to please the people who belong to the community, but to attract new people (new community members, and new software users) and to communicate with stakeholders (individuals and companies/organizations interested in dealing with TDF or covering TDF in the press or in a blog).

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org