On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 00:50 +0800, David Nelson wrote:

There *are* people who disagree with you:

"In open source we have traditionally ran such contests, so in reality
Thorsten is putting forward the controversial idea.. ;-)" [3]

This is a quote from Vish, who reacted to you implying your idea of
doing a contest would be controversial. Even without context, the quoted
statement just calls opposition to doing such contests controversial.
This is not disagreement.

I start to worry about your reading comprehension.

You do seem to be a little dogmatic on the subject:

"We need to shout it loud and clear that spec work should not be
affiliated, is not related to, and will not be tolerated with the Open
Source / Free Software movement." [2]

[2]
http://troy-sobotka.blogspot.com/2010/01/specs-and-contests-we-all-lose.html

You quote _Troy_ to then call _me_ dogmatic?

But please stop "shouting" about it here, because people do have a
right to discuss ideas even if you don't agree with what they're
saying.

I'm not against discussion. Real discussion includes addressing valid
concerns that have been brought up.

Actually, IMHO, your own blog post points-up one very good reason for
at least giving consideration to *some* form of contest:

"If you just let things happen in a collaborative project with
design/artwork needs, you will likely see a few people creating
proposals that mostly cover the same ground. They all will base there
work on their own assumptions regarding various aspects of the
project." [1]

What I described there is actually not a good thing, because of the
limited range of options and because the assumptions remain hidden, thus
can't be evaluated or challenged.

So, any process with some kind of competitive/comparative aspect to it
would need to be carefully designed and planned beforehand. There's
nothing wrong with creating a wiki page on the subject, to develop
further thinking about it.

Yes. I just worry that you or someone else will use it as a preparation
for a contest.

To quote a line from the movie K-PAX, "To quote a line from Navarro,
my dear Doctor, you need to chill." ;-)

You should not make assumptions about my emotional state.

It's a pity you're so "anti" the idea, because your expertise would
have been valuable in arriving at something well thought-out and
organized. :-(

How can you both claim to value my expertise and ignore it?
I'm actually trying to make sure that my expertise will indeed be
valuable in arriving at something well thought-out and organized.

I don't intend to reply to anything further that bears any kind of
resemblance to trolling, flaming, discourtesy or unfriendliness (it
might be relevant to read what the draft TDF statutes have to say
about such forms of behavior). I will be perfectly willing to take
part in discussion that is measured and courteous in its tone and
content. :-)

The implication here could be seen as insult. Putting lots of ;-)
doesn't make your emails friendly when your tactics are not.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/