On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 13:44 +0930, Michael Wheatland wrote:

To clarify
Is there a proposed marketing team structure?

ie.
Marketing
 - Branding
     -Logo
 - Design (Artwork)
 - Promotions
 - etc

I'm not aware of such a proposal.

I would never place Design below Marketing (or Engineering or whatever
else). Design done right touches the Why, What and How of a
product/project/system. It permeates everything.

The term Artwork might seem handy to label stuff to just look at, no
interaction. But it may suggest an "intuitive", subjective "just do it"
approach, in contrast to the planning and evaluation that belongs to
design.

As we need some separation, I would say design has to happen on 5
levels:
* Core: planning/steering/governance for the entire LO project
* Interface/Interaction design within the office suite
* Interface/Interaction design for the website(s)
* Communication/Visual design for documentation
* Communication/Visual design for marketing purposes

* Core: planning/steering/governance for the entire LO project
has to happen centrally and nobody would expect to see a "design" label
attached.

The planned Design mailing list should include:
* Interface/Interaction design within the office suite
and may also cover:
* Interface/Interaction design for the website(s)
* Communication/Visual design for documentation
* Communication/Visual design for marketing purposes

But
* Communication/Visual design for marketing purposes
is a topic for the marketing list.
* Interface/Interaction design for the website(s)
is a topic for a website list (if we have one).
* Communication/Visual design for documentation
is a topic for a documentation list (if we have one).

I would appreciate if we could switch to a terminology where Brand and
Branding are about the outcome, the perception. What you actively work
on is the (Corporate or Visual) Identity.

Marketing may include:
* Message/communication design
* Strategy/positioning (maybe not separable from the first)
* Visual design of marketing material
* Planning, executing and tracking marketing activities

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/