Hi all!

Am Mittwoch, den 17.11.2010, 18:28 +0100 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:20 -0500, John Baer wrote:

This thread has a-lot of good information but - isn't the task at
hand to
encourage folks to post "logo" submissions for this product?

Only if you want aimless (when seen as a whole) logo proposals and no
good way to evaluate them.

Yep, I do strongly support these statements.

It is not only the logo - we started to shape the appearance (and thus:
the characteristic that will be perceived by the users and developers)
of the whole project.

Personally, I see the independent evaluation (or selection) of
contributions that do have impact on the user as critical. It even boils
down the the text style we want to use ... being it neutral and
informative, or personal and emphasizing. Having all the different
contributors, sponsors and users (private, governments, businesses) in
mind, it is crucial to maintain a common direction.

An example - although the impact within the art activity within OOo was
limited, the main graphics were created by one person. A person serving
as the design lead ... that sometimes helps to ensure this common goal.
We - instead - do have the responsibility to enable contributions and
foster creativity, and to ensure consistency within the project.

If done correctly, you start by asking yourself (or the "classical"
marketing), what users you have and what target groups you want to
address, too. After some work, mixing, adapting, ... this boils down to
the briefing Thorsten talked about. Knowing for whom to design for, and
for what reason. The "magic" is to - then - select and / or develop a
contribution that suits these needs.

That might sound bold - it is! So is our project and our aim for
LibO :-) So the remaining question is, how to get some of the
information without having access to some required information sources
(or just by lacking time).

Cheers,
Christoph