On 11/16/2010 05:00 AM, Marc Paré wrote:

First, and foremost, the main concern is about distribution lists, which are very good in some areas and very poor in others. Today, media in most countries rely on news wires (with some notable exceptions like Italy, where news wires do not exist), but is also important to have a list of emails of the main media contacts (news editors and software bloggers being the main targets).

We should start building a database of news wires and emails of media contacts, and we should make a distribution plan for the announcement, in order to populate news wires in a short timeframe (if each person uploads on five news wires, we should be done in one hour).

Sending out emails is not a problem: I use a professional tool for PR distribution, and I am able to send over 3.000 emails in one hour (the Italian media list alone is over 700 emails). We cannot have the list on the wiki for privacy and confidentiality reasons, and also because I would avoid giving the competition an unfair advantage. Therefore, we should have a private mailing list and a protected area on the wiki for the announcement (sorry guys, but here in Europe competition is quite strong).

If there is already a mailing list, then we can just collect emails. If the mailing list is missing (which I think is the case for many areas), we should start collecting emails at least of the editorial staff (many are on the web site, but if they are missing, it is usually enough to ask a polite question about the best way to send press releases).

I suggest to create a very simple spreadsheet with five columns: name, surname, media title, email, country. At the moment, this should be enough.

Once we have the mailing list, we will talk - privately - about the distribution and pitching strategy.

Here are the items that I would consider essential:

* communiqué from the TDF Foundation
* communiqué from the SC (could be in their native languages -- this
will identify the LO suite with that particular person for the outside
world. This will give everyone a reference point for the localised
versions of LO. Question: can we have all languages represented.
Obviously not, then how many do we have?)
* communiqué from various LO (OOo) communities
* list of improvements to the LO 3.3 suite
* list of comparisons between LO 3.3 and comparable OOo suites
* list of LO future/prospective improvements
* list of community/corporate supporters
* list of LO corporate sponsors
* list of LO media contacts (do we provide only one -- Italo? or should
we also have different localised/national media reps working under
Italo's guidance?)

Let's make it simpler:

- announcement press release (should be almost the same everywhere)
- feature list with small description and small picture (if available)
- simple page with links to the web site and the wiki for contents
- list of TDF spokespersons, plus local contacts for infos

We cannot distribute (push) more than that.

We must agree on a basic set of infos which may be handled at local level, and a wider set of infos which should (ideally) be handled by spokespersons. Sometimes, it will be difficult to handle the process without itches, as editors are always on a tight deadline (good old common sense helps a lot).

Communities have never been able to handle product announcements. We face the challenge of being the first community handling a worldwide announcement, and we will simply succeed in doing that (and we will even improve with time).

Now, being 2:45AM, I think it is time to have a nice nap. Ciao.

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org