On Tuesday 16 Nov 2010 23:30:01 Christoph Noack wrote:
Hi all,

thanks for all your replies concerning the "next step mailing list".
Since this is a short summary, I do reply to my initial mail ...

SUMMARY

So here is a short summary with focus on the mailing list:
      * Using tags within the subjects (like [Design]) might be an
        interim solution, but might break down soon, since posting
        discipline varies
      * People ask to not go too granular concerning mailing lists. Two
        of them should suit our needs and keep the so required
        collaboration.
      * One of the mailing list should target Marketing stuff (the
        current one), the other mailing one focus on overall Design
        aspects (the new one).
      * Further evaluation of communication channels should be done
        (IRC, voice calls, phone conferences, Google Wave,
        OpenConferencing, forums, ...)

Another thought from my side: I know some people who are currently a bit
hesitant to join. They do prefer a bit more streamlined communication
that is "pre-filtered" by a topic based mailing list.

I also would like to keep some consistency concerning the names of our
groups. For example, the mailing list "website@libreoffice.org" is used
by "LibreOffice Website Team".

This leads to the following proposal I've made up by adding some more
additional discussions and the experience we gathered in the past.

PROPOSAL

called "LibreOffice Design Team".

The current "LibreOffice Marketing Team" mailing list
"marketing@libreoffice.org" might be used for discussions on:
      * marketing strategy (requirements, target groups, ...)
      * marketing material (flyers, presentations, ...)
      * promotional stuff (press releases)
      * event organization (conferences, trade fairs, ...)
      * ...

The "LibreOffice Design Team" using the new mailing list
"design@libreoffice.org" will care about two main topics:
      * Visual Design and Artwork (artwork, branding, graphical aspects
        of UI design ... for the software and the websites)
      * User Experience Design (interaction design, usability,
        ergonomics, user research, ... for the software and the
        websites)

Finally, I hope you support this proposal to make our work more
efficient and to - of course - add some more fun! :-)

Definite +1 from me

Cheers
GL

I'll forward this proposal to the Steering Committee, who should decide
on that. Again, thanks for all your input!

Cheers,
Christoph