Bruce Byfield wrote:

Italo, you are quoted as saying, "After 20 years of feature oriented
software, it is now the right time to bring back content at the centre
of user focus."

Can you explain exactly what that means?

Actually, I wrote the entire press release, included my quote. I am not a developer (degree in humanities, life started as a geographer then 30 years in hi-tech marketing, where I have ended just by chance at age 27 discovering a deep curiosity for innovations), although I have managed a printer R&D lab for two years, between age 30 and 32, to develop an award winning dot matrix printer.

My personal opinion is that so far software has been focused more on features than on contents, and a good user is considered who is able to use features and not who is able to develop good contents. I have been one of these users and too many times I have been focusing on more on features that on contents. The future should be different.

Sometimes, having many features is just useless, if you do not need all the features. Of course, this does not mean that software should have less features.

The evolution of platforms - desktop, notebooks, laptops, netbooks, tablets, smartphones - will translate into a different relation between user and contents (editing and reading on a large screen is not like reading on a small screen, and definitely not like editing).

In addition, being mobile adds another layer of complexity, because the relathionship with contents is different when you are on the road: your attention is lower and your time pressure is higher.

Of course, I am speculating about the future. As a user I hate, though, reading that each new release adds x features when the previous one is still plagued by bugs and security issues.

I hope this explains, although partially, my quote. Best, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org