wasn't Google offering its products to enterprises for private clouds? (Or
was it MS?)

Both of them.   Google might have gotten down to a large small business.
 Neither addressed the needs/requirements of a SOHO that needed a
private cloud on their premises.

In any case, Ubuntu certainly does market private clouds [1].

So I've discovered.

jonathon

In terms of basic strategy one thing that MS and Google have (and to a
lesser extent Canonical) that we don't have is development resources.  It
seems to me that we can maintain LO with a few tweaks but we have no means
to make big changes that take a lot of resources. So the most fundamental
part of any strategy is to work out how to get more resources for
development. Once there is resource, the political argument can begin on the
best way to use it :-).

--
Ian