Le 2010-11-07 12:23, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2010-11-07 05:02, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
On 04/11/2010 Marc Paré wrote:

Thanks. The obvious question is ... are we going to brand a page and
have our own repository? I imagine this is yes.

If the answer is yes, then you need much more than just web space for
rebuilding the Templates infrastructure. Just try uploading a template
on http://templates.services.openoffice.org/ if you don't get what I
mean.

This will apply to a lot of the infrastructure: if LibreOffice wants to
have its own infrastructure for everything (including parts where there
is 100% compatibility with OpenOffice.org, like Templates and
Extensions) it will have the same complexity of the OpenOffice.org
infrastructure, plus the cost of initial import of existing material,
plus the cost of periodic synchronization from the OpenOffice.org
repository. This is a heavy technical burden that should be evaluated
before deciding on a separate repository.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Thanks Andrea.

Good point. I guess it is a case of whether TDF/LibO is going to declare itself as an independent organization where all of the services come under its own umbrella or if it declares itself as an independent organization where some of its services (in this case templating offerings) are offered cooperatively with other organizations such as OOo..

I believe we can do both. It is just a matter of deciding in which direction we should go.

If we are to offer templates as part of our web service, then yes, the infrastructure is a little complex, but is still with the capabilities of our membership and (hopefully) resources (disk space). The template repository would then become part of the marketing strategy of the TDF/LibO where it could be touted as one of the clear benefits of owning the LibO suite.

If we are to offer these services in a cooperative way, the perhaps a better way of offering these services would be to establish another organisation under the TDF where the templates are reposited and where they are put at the disposal of other suites should they decide to adopt the template formats into their code. Perhaps at TDF/TemplateRepository organization managed by the TDF. This way, the templates would be handled by a non-profit foundation rather than a for-profit enterprise. The template repository would then become part of the marketing strategy of the TDF/LibO organisation where it would claim cooperation between open sourced ODF-centric office suites.

Depending on repositories controlled by Oracle may be, in part, a little problematic, as it may at some point decide that the template repository should no longer be made available to the general public and somehow made part of it marketing strategy of the OOo Office suite.

How would this sound?

Marc

I am not a fan of templates. Usually, there is either something that doesn't suit me, or I find it simpler to design from scratch, so I may not be the best guy to comment on the subject. With this disclaimer, here are my suggestions.

1. I think templates are completely different from software development. They may help "sell" LibreOffice, but there doesn't have to be any link between those who design LibreOffice (both the code and user interface) and those who design templates. So the structure designed for templates may even be at arms' length so it does not add extra work to those who are already working on the LibreOffice and Document Foundation websites.

2. At this time, there are no significant differences between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. And from what I see, there probably won't be any differences between LO and OOo documents for quite some time. I mean, even if LibreOffice comes with a totally redesigned interface, it still is committed to the .odt format. So in a nutshell, templates that work in LibreOffice will work in OpenOffice, with the other forks/variants, with Lotus Symphony, and maybe with a few others such as AbiWord (not sure, though).

3. Interface wise, I think it should be simpler. What about something like a forum (see http://libreofficeforum.org) where posts would have a template attached to it? Templates could then be evaluated and commented upon either through other messages of a forum or through a 1-to-5 notation technique according to flexibility, conformity to style sheets, ease of use in other languages, etc.

4. There could also be a page linking to other websites with templates. For instance, on LibreOfficeTemplates, why not have a link to OOo Templates (with a note saying they are fully compatible)? In my humble opinion, the more standardized documents people see, the more they will value LibreOffice.

From the user point of view, there are two things I find missing on the current OpenOffice Templates website: – There is a section on how to upload one's template, but nothing on how to download and start using a template (it's not obvious to newcomers) – More examples, as well as a clear list of what it does and what it doesn't do.

And from the uploader point of view, I think the guide should add something with regard to how I would transform a perfect document into a template (maybe this exists elsewhere in the OOo wiki and books, I don't know.

Regards,

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net