Le 2010-11-07 08:54, Christoph Noack a écrit :
Hi all!

A very interesting discussion - I wished this one would have started
about one year within the OpenOffice.org project. So my personal
thoughts ...

Please refer to the complete post by Christoph: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/msg00933.html

This is now. I'm really looking forward to work with more experienced
designers, more knowledge about our project and the software we want to
shape to make up the "community branding" for LibreOffice. In the
meantime, thanks for your patience, support and the discussions to - at
least - create something that will work for the next release!

@ Bernhard: Still thinking about the structuring proposal :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand

[2] http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand#Visual_brand_identity

[4] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding#Branding

Thanks Bernhard and Christohp for your answers.

Christoph's post on his ideas, understanding and interpretation of branding are well appreciated. However, for the present discussion about the structure and placement of the category of branding, this has still not been resolved. In my opinion, we may have to revisit our group/membership definition of "branding" before deciding placement.

I would like to point out some concerns when looking for guidance in defining the term "brand", "branding". In the English world, it is generally accepted that in terms of defining words in usage in the English language, the Oxford Dictionary is the pinnacle reference tool, some may call it "the Keeper of the English language". We should then look at the definition from this source firstly and then move on to other definitions. However, in terms of defining vocabulary in English language usage the Oxford should hold precedence over all other definitions.

Oxford definition: http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0099010#m_en_gb0099010

As group members, we should then decide if we are to use the word "brand" as noun or verb. This decision, in the case of "brand"/"branding" may then have impact on the placement of this word within the site structure.

We should also decide on whether we are using the noun/verb within the context of an action is taken from the marketing of the LibO suite where marketing members are to use different features of the suite and promote these to the greater public in an attempt to popularize its recognition OR use the noun/verb in the context of a step within the LibO art creation process.

This again, may then have impact on the placement of this word within the site structure.

Just some thoughts.

Marc