Stefan,
My name is Michael Wheatland and I am working on the Drupal Website
development team. In case you are unaware we are currently designing a
fully integrated website for the LibreOffice community which will
replace the existing site in around 3-6 months.

On the aspect of project sub-domains and localised sub-domains, the
question remains, if we functionally separate the community into
individual groups we may not have as rich interaction as we would have
with one, unified site which caters for all aspects of the community.

There will of course be areas which deal exclusively with a working
project team such as the artwork or marketing teams, however in
integrating the community we will encourage participation across
specialities which should enrich the community with both a wide range
of views and new idea generation in many areas. A good example of this
type of unity is the KDE community: http://www.kde.org/community

There will also be geographical groups, however the Drupal Website Dev
Team is currently working on the framework to eliminate the language
barrier using a combination of manual and automated translation
systems. In many cases you will be able to communicate directly with
another member who you do not share any language with, yet still have
the ability to discuss, conceptualise and develop ideas together
without a third party involved.

I would suggest that if you have views about what you want from the
website I would suggest getting involved with the
website@libreoffice.org mailing list or visiting the Drupal Website
Development Wiki page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal

We have already been consulting with the documentation team on
workflows and their requirements, and we are about to start to develop
the other project teams infrastructure. I am sure you will be hearing
more of us very soon.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland