On 10/26/2010 7:14 PM, Frank Esposito wrote:

<snip>

  Not as many issues as MSO has with ODF, and LibO/OOo is standards compliant

yes but the world uses MSO so that point is moot if were are trying to get
them to use LO/OO..... and the average user or business IT person usually
does not even know what  "standards compliant" even means. All they care
about is their employment agency only accepts a resume in word format

<Rant> (My apologies beforehand)

I'm going to comment on this single point because it's illustrative of a problem I see a lot in the open source vs Microsoft world and I think you hit the nail right on the head, Frank.

Yes, we all know that Microsoft ignores standards (or creates their own 'standards' outright) and we all know that a lot of their practices are out of line with what is standard and right. But, as much as the open source community would like to deny it sometimes, we are the odd men out. Right now, *compatibility* with MSO is one of the absolute essentials. Yes, we might have to 'break' some compatibility standards. Yes, we might have to do some pretty messed up things to get there but, eventually, once we've won, we can begin moving everyone down a more standardized path which Microsoft will then HAVE to follow.

To take down the MSO monopoly, we're going to have to focus on compatibility. I've heard many users define OOo as 'Sh@t' simply because they couldn't save a fairly simple document and have it interpreted correctly by MSO. Yes, it's an MSO failing because they aren't standards compliant but users don't care. We are the odd men out so if it isn't compatible with Microsoft, WE are the ones who are broken.

This isn't just true for OOo and LibO. This is true for *every* open source project who says 'It's not us! We're standards compliant! It's Microsoft!'. Who cares? Like Frank said, most users aren't even aware WHAT standards are, much less understand that the software they just paid $500 is the problem instead of the free one they downloaded off the web. If they can't send their resume, it's game over.

</Rant>

Anthony
--
Anthony Papillion