Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Invite a pro graphic artist to contribute logo/icon design [was: Conference call tomorrow]

Hi Graham, :-)

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 15:12, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> I would oppose this in the strongest possible terms, when that has been done
> in the past, the artist, disappears after taking the glory and they are never
> seen again.  The art project became almost irrelevant because contributions
> were confined to birthday cakes and the occasional brochure and all of the
> high profile work went to the corporate staff or contractors hired by
> corporate partners.  if they feel strong enough about contributing they will
> join the community and contribute like the rest of us without the so called
> "generosity" of doing it "pro bono".
>
> We have the chance to build up the art project again by giving people
> meaningful projects, don't let's screw that up by bringing in "fly by
> nighters".  Longstanding contribution to the project should be prerequisite.

If I got a green light from you guys to go talent-scouting for graphic
artists, I'd certainly prefer to bring home long-term recruits rather
than occasional contributors. That being said, some of the
highly-talented graphic artists out there might not have the time or
inclination to get involved on a permanent basis.

Yet, IMHO, it would be sad to refuse freely-contributed work of major
value to this community-owned project simply because the person or
people are not long-standing "club members"...

Plus, some of the artists out there have made very tangible
contributions to free software... Everaldo is only one example with
his LinspireClear and CrystalClear icon sets - there are various
others too. Some of them truly show a touch of genius in their field.

What's more, IMHO, if one were to take a closed-minded attitude about
work contributions, one would be walking straight back to the
entrenched mind sets that were the among the reasons cited by TDF
founders for forking from OOo in the first place...

Give some new blood a chance, too? Judge their offerings on their merits?

Just my 0.2 cents. :-)

David Nelson