[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
- From: Jon Hamkins <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:25:33 -0700
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
On 10/17/2010 05:28 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
This thread is to explore the LibO use in Academia and tools necessary
to make it more appealing.
Here are a few things that would make LibO appealing to academia:
1. Export to LaTeX*. Support for LaTeX in OOo was limited to the OOoLaTeX extension, which allows one to interface to a TeX engine by typing an equation in LaTeX-style, calling the TeX engine, and inserting a PNG of the typeset result into the OOo document. It would be really great if there were a "save as" option to save an OOo document in LaTeX -- then LibO could become like "LyX," a GUI for LaTeX, but better. Academic departments sometimes insist on LaTeX thesis submissions, so this could provide a real boost in LibO usage.
Import from LaTeX would also be nice, but not likely to be easy for anything beyond basic capabilities, there are thousands of LaTeX packages, and supporting all of that infrastructure is hard. Incidentally, LaTeX export/import functionality is offered as a commercial plugin to MSO, with the Word2TeX and TeX2Word commercial plugin, and the export quality is much better than the import.
2. Native support for the BibTeX reference organizer.
3. Good and varied templates for resumes, CVs. Perhaps these are already available?
* LaTeX is a powerful typesetting system often used for technical fields in academia. For mathematical expressions, the quality cannot be beat, and even for text, the kerning and text flow is quite sophisticated (see, e.g., http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex).
E-mail to email@example.com for instructions on how to unsubscribe
List archives are available at http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/marketing/
All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia||Andrea Pescetti <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia||Marc Paré <email@example.com>|
|[libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia||Marc Paré <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: [libreoffice-marketing] Will there be a press release about Oracle?
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibO in Academia