Hi Marc, all,

Marc Paré wrote:
> [...]
As an outsider looking in at these proceedings, it is quite clear that
the TDF people who are still at Ooo are on borrowed time. I read through
the minutes and I guess that you are being told to either leave or you
will be asked to leave. But you must have expected this anyway.

The official way to handle these requests is mentioned in the "Guidelines for participating in OpenOffice.org" [1] for project leads (and I assume it should be valid for other roles in OOo too):

They have to be voted off by their project or "in extraordinary circumstances" by the direct intervention of the Community Council.

Community Council members will have to removed by "consensus vote of the other nine Council members" [2] if they don't resign on their own (possible at any time).

So if there is a group consisting of more than one council member not willing to resign, the Council Charter describes only one way to "get rid" of them: New elections (after 2 years of service if there is no agreement on earlier votes).

I hope that we'll never come to a situation where it will be necessary to test their validity under pressure...

We are still part of the OpenOffice.org community - and I don't know if Oracle really wants to test the support for the people having been active in this community for long time and deciding that it is crucial for the community's survival to have an independent foundation.

So my recommendation: Don't step back - stand for the community and keep on inviting community members not able to understand our move to talk about the future of our community. Perhaps we'll find a way to keep on collaboration.

If Oracle wants to revoke the community to use the OpenOffice.org trademark or if they keep on removing rights in the OOo infrastructure (... it might be just an accident, that Cor and Christoph had to be moderated to the discuss@CC mailing list ...), this would be an action visible for the whole world.

I'd like to avoid negative publicity for the OpenOffice.org project, even if I might be losing the virtual home I had for the last 6 years.

So please let us stay polite and open for discussion - most of the people on the OOo mailing lists have the same goals as we have: To create, as community, the best Office Suite of the world.

(... and perhaps one or another might be able to convince their management how important a vivid community is for an open source project ...)

Best regards

Bernhard

[1]: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/guidelines.html

[2]: http://council.openoffice.org/councilcharter12.html