I have not looked into this is a few years - but, how many African languages does LO language packs support?  To be honest, I do not know which language name goes with which country in the world, except the "commonly known ones" like for Brazil and Mexico.

Yes if there were people with "boots on the ground" in these areas that are promoting LibreOffice, there may be some good there.

As for MS hardware, do you know how much it costs to replace a bad battery in a tablet style [Surface included] device? I have a laptop that has no easy way to replace the battery after the warranty ends.  Internal battery devices that do not have screws holding it together cost a lot of money to replace the batteries. So, even if MS donates Surface tablet/laptops, people will have to pay good money to get the battery replaced. I know this since I priced the cost of replacing the battery for a tablet.  It costs less to buy a new one.

So, getting MS Office and MS Surface notebook for free is not a good deal in the long run.

Actually, I saw a program on PBS that had low cost smart phones with solar charges as African people's only access to the Internet and their way to do business.  The program was about ways for areas without landline phone service to have access with low cost cell towers set up for cell phone access to the "world". There are areas in the USA that only have cell phone access, since it is cheaper to put up cell towers than to wire every home.

SO, if we could look into what these areas of the world have access to as their "computer device", we could make some marketing materials for the local people to promote LibreOffice and free software. I cannot wait till LO has a Android version of their office. Not reader, but creation.  MS is in that market. There are a few packages other than that, but I would prefer using LO's version when it comes out.